Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance

I have a SubZero 700TCI and I recently completed a home remodel

I have a SubZero 700TCI and I recently completed a home remodel where dust was everywhere. I've cleaned out the condensor coils, which were full of dust and cleared out the drain tub behind the refrigerator wall (thanks to this website!) as it was blocked and allowing water to leak under the storage bins. But, now, I'm noticing frost gradually building up inside the top drawer of the freezer, just underneath the refrigerator. I've also noticed that the fan in the back of the top drawer isn't spinning.

Should this be the cause of the frost build-up? Please advise what I can do to resolve this issue. Thank you!
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! At the back of the refrigerator section is a drain hole that has likely become plugged and is not allowing water to drain as it should. It is located behind the panel in the fresh food section. You will need to remove all food from the fridge and then the back panel to access it and thaw to restore drainage. Or, you can turn the unit off for about 12 hours with the doors open and it will thaw everything out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. In my description of my problem, I mentioned that I have already unclogged the drain tube and I have already left the freezer-only off for 48 hours, so nothing could be frozen.

So, everything you've suggested has already been tried.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My technician didn't bother to read my description. Everything he suggested was already attempted, as I described in my question.

Sounds to me like the door gasket isn't making 100% or that something behind the door is preventing it from closing all the way. The fan could or could not be related to the frost. There is a switch that separately runs that fan, so if the drawer isn't closing all the way it can prevent the fan from running. Also frost can cause the fan not to run .... won't really know without accessing it. I would just take a hair dryer to the fan area for 5-10 mins .... if it's frost it should resolve that pretty quick. Then close the door fully with a dollar bill between the gasket and frame. Go around about every 2-3 inches and see if there is anywhere not touching (the dollar will freely move if not touching, and won't if touching) I'm sure you'll find somewhere that isn't touching.

Once you do, heat it up with the hair dryer (DON'T MELT IT) and close the drawer (I call this reforming the gasket) it will take a proper seat since it's magnetic. However if you see any tears in the gasket it has to be replaced. Lemme know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great points! The first time I pulled the drawer open after the remodel, I had to tug at it really hard and that gasket did come loose. I'll look for tears and perform the test using a dollar bill and let you know what I find.

Because of the switch you mentioned, it sounds as though the fan never runs when the drawer is open, correct?? So, I should never expect to see it spinning with the drawer closed, right??

Thanks for everything.

It runs only when closed, so no open you would never see it spinning. You have to have it within 1/4" to hear it running .... very hard to do on these models. Almost easier to remove the drawer and push the switch by hand to test the fan. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure if my question's status will close once I provide my "excellent" rating for your great advice. Will I still be able to provide an update even after I've given my rating??

Thank you!

You sure can, if you need any part numbers just ask, or anything else. Thanks
Experience: 10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're a genius!! After using my hair dryer to "re-magnetize" my gasket, there is no sign of frost. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

no problem, it's what we're here for. I do want you to understand what you did so that if you have any issues in the future. You didn't actually remagnetize it (thought subzero gaskets do have a magnet in them) you just made the rubber soft so whatever malformations in it were pulled out by the magnet. Lemme know if you need anything else. Thanks!