Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My 9000 series maytag washer with steam showed the F21 signal.

My 9000 series maytag washer with steam showed the F21 signal. After a while, it shut off and the buttons dont work. I checked, and the drain tubes are not plugged.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

If the drain time exceeds eight minutes, "F21" will be

displayed, the water valves will turn off, and the pump

will stop running. Press PAUSE/CANCEL to drain the

machine. The display will be cleared and the machine

will turn off after a maximum of eight minutes

When you said you checked the drain I gather you checked the drain pump trap also is that correct ? Drain Pump 280187          Main Product View

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I did, it had some junk in it but was not enough to stop it up

Okay, well the error means this is taking to long to drain. remove the pump and check it good, if theres nothing else in it replace the pump because its not strong enough to drain the washer in the amount of time allowed by the control board so it gives the error. I am including a link to the pump below. thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does replacing the pump automatically reset the panel? the panel seems to be nonresponsive. the control lock button light is on but non of the buttons make a sound when i push them

oh the control lock is on ? Select and hold CYCLE END SIGNAL for 3 seconds until the CONTROL LOCKED Status light turns off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is the cycle end signal the on/off button? the control lock light is on but the door is not locked

well the door wont be locked but the control itself is. its a child lock. so children can start this if you choose to use it. yes try the cycle end button.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, i got it going. the f21 light came on again now as it was rinsing the load

okay , you did pull the pump all the way out and check it ? or not yet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I did not yet, I will here in a little bit

Okay great, once thats done and your sure its clear try the washer again. if the error comes back replace the pump. thanks and best wishes, Bryan