Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hotpoint range model # XXXXX is not working after power

Customer Question

hotpoint range model # XXXXX is not working after power outage. Circuit breaker is on and electrical outlet is getting power. When unit is plugged in, nothing shows up on digital display and will not power unit. Not sure if the terminal block or control board need to be replaced.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon. do the burners light ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gas comes out but no ignition

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I see. well it wont be the control itself. Oven Control Board WB27K10355 Main Product Viewif the control was bad then the spark would still work. thats good news. are you certain there power at the plug ? can you plug a lamp in to see ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

power is being supplied to outlet. just no display or power to range.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay theres no thermal fuse in this range so we can eliminate that. can you move the range out and remove the back covers ? unplug it first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, pulling out unit & removing panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay check the wiring all the way up to the control area at the top. there has to be an issue with the wiring. do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all wiring looks sound. i do not have a voltage meter though.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmm, okay let me see if I can pull up a wiring diagram to make sure I'm not missing something. be back soon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere for this, Do you think you can get a volt meter ? either borrow one or get a cheap one at lowes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately this is a rental property in which i cannot reach in a reasonable amount of time. its probably best to have a local tech to take it from here so tenant has service in a resonable amount of time.i do appreciate your help though
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'm sorry, electrical issues really have to be traced with a volt meter. my guess is theres something fried in it but without a meter all I'm doing is guessing . thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks & same to you! I have a good feeling this is due to the storms last evening. I had to leave property because electric company was cutting power to inspect lines and trim limbs in the area. No way to trouble shoot without power. As I was leaving I overheard them taking about problems with the voltage.

I do have another range with an error message that I'm sure I can get a definite answer on from you. You mind if I ask?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sure go ahead .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I have an Amana Easy Touch Control 800 gas range that has an error message F 14 blinking when its plugged in. When the oven is set to certain temp, the oven temp never reaches oven 100 degrees. I do not hear the solenoid valve open to let gas in when it normally should when oven is set.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

F14 ? are you sure thats what it was ? theres no f14 on the Amana list. heres the lists .

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/FaultCodeLinks click that blue link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Definitely F.14 error code. I came up with the same troubleshooting guide for reference at repair clinic with no F. 14. It sounds like the F 4 error code with the oven temp sensor to be replaced by what I had been describing. any thoughts as how to troubleshoot?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well can you start the oven and watch under neath the floor and see if you see the igniter come on ? or will this start at all ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no ignition. The click that I would normally hear when the igniter is light and gas is being burned never happens like before. I always thought it was the solenoid valve doesn't seem to open to let gas burn.The stove top works just fine and is just the oven. I have googled the F 14 with another getting it but when Amana was contacted directly they said the code didn't exist.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah I cant find that either. Do you have the full model number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's model # XXXXX
Maytag...didn't realize they owned Amana

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah but I checked Maytag also and didn't see that error and Maytag is made by Whirlpool ! Go figure ? Well your oven isn't lit by an igniter like the top that why no click. what I wanted you to look at was this. Oven Igniter 74007498 Main Product View that is the oven igniter. its mounted on the burner assembly number 14 on this diagram. you can see it by opening the drawer. I just wanted you to put this in bake and see if that glows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It does not glow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. I want you to try one more thing, Sorry this takes so long, try the broil that one is in the top of the oven inside. see if that one glows and lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no worries. yes broil does work

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay good. well I believe you have a bad oven igniter. since the broil works it means the clock/control is working. there is a way to test the igniter but of course requires...... tada a volt meter. the error code bothers me more though, you may be right about it actually being an F4 error which is a temp sensor error. either way without a meter its a hit and run. heres a link to the igniter and they do let you return it even if you installed it and it didn't work. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Igniter/74007498/949510?modelNumber=AGR5835QDS?RCAID=1000065 just don't break it they are very fragile.and heres a link to the probe if you want to try both. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Sensor/12001655/1365?modelNumber=AGR5835QDS?RCAID=1000065 I hope this helps, thanks and please remember to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you tonight, well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The broiler coil does glow but gas still isn't flowing to raise temp. to broil. I will have a multimeter tomorrow. How do I troubleshoot the igniter and oven sensor? Sorry to keep asking questions but like to pinpoint problem so I don't have to order both if Idon't have to.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay so the broiler isn't actually lighting. okay well the two links I gave you also have a video on each that shows you how to test the part. test the parts they way it shows on the videos first.also on the bake igniter unplug the igniter and test the plug that comes from the range to the igniter for 120 volts while in bake. lest see if your getting voltage there. you may have issue withe the gas safety valve in this . your going to have to come back tomorrow fro sure and talk with me as we go. these are not simple machines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan, I've finally got a multi meter. I have tested the igniter to the oven and it's not working. The broiler igniter and oven temp sensor are both working. I'm unclear as to how to test the igniter plug for 120 volts since there's a 4 wires to the harness. Is there a video for testing this. Also the gas safety valve, how is that tested? Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
The igniter should unplug. shut the power off to the range and follow the wires on the igniter. there should be a plug. unplug the igniter and put your meter on ac volts and put your leads in the part of the plug that comes from the range. plug the range it and put this on bake. you should get 120 volts. if you do replace the igniter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, we are getting 120 volts.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you need to replace the igniter. Good job ! Its showing a round igniter is that correct ? if so heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Oven-Igniter/WB2X9154/1990?modelNumber=RGB745WEHAWW?RCAID=1000065 thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, the oven igniter is not working but the broiler igniter is. When I put to broil no gas is supplied to the oven. I still believe I have a problem with the gas safety valve picture you sent a few messages ago. There still should gas being supplied on broil right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes mmm, Its rare that both igniter's would fail at once. what I mean by that is the igniter can still glow but doesn't draw enough amps to open the valve. it is possible they are both bad even though the igniter glows in the broil. now if the valve was bad that would mean the valve and the lower igniter have failed that to would be rare. can you try taking the igniter from the broiler and put it in the bake and see if it lites ? if you get 120 volts that igniter should glow in the bottom they are the same igniter's. just be careful not to bang it they break easy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unfortunately the wiring harnesses are different. I just removed the broiler igniter and noticed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh darn.It seems strange that both the valve and the igniter would fail at the same time I've never seen that happen. what I would do first is the igniter and see what that does, we know thats bad for sure then we can move on to the broil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I will order the igniter now and will get back you when I get it. Thanks Bryan!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay come back anytime I'll be here , thanks Bryan