Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher. Not cleaning dishes. Checked

Customer Question

Have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher. Not cleaning dishes.
Checked hot water supply, cleaned both upper and lower water distribution flywheels, Checked pump impellers for damage and and sump for glass and garbage. Powdered detergent in reservoir on door is not being thoroughly used, i.e reservoir not being emptied out during one washing cycle ( which is normal when appliance is running well). Some detergent remains in each of 2 reservoirs following completion of cycle. any tests that I can run to check efficacy of pump or motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Put 4 cups in the top rack facing upwards with no other dishes in the dishwasher. Run the dishwasher for 5 minutes and then open the door. Are all the glasses filling up with water?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are not filling up
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that is definitely a water pressure problem. So the first thing you want to do is make sure the dishwasher is getting adequate water or else it can't produce the correct pressure. Start a cycle and wait 5 minutes. Open the door and make sure the floor is covered with water. If so, then you're getting enough water.

Assuming the water level is correct, your problem can be caused for two reasons, either you have a bad circulation pump and motor assembly or your disposal screen is getting clogged and needs to be cleaned out. Below is a link to a video that will show you how to clean out your disposal and take your pump apart.

CLICK HERE

If you clean out the screen and it still won't wash the dishes properly, then the entire circulation pump and motor assembly will need to be ordered and replaced, and that's a $150 part. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to replace the pump and motor if you wanted to do that

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to thank you for your assistance with my question. I swapped out the motor and pump assembly for our Kenmore dishwasher and it was apiece of cake. It's working fine now!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. Thank you for the update and I'm so glad everything is up and running again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tyler,
tried to find the place to rate your service. I tried looking around the Just Ask site, w/o luck. Do you have a link to the appropriate area? Your help was worth every penny! I really appreciate the assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I believe you actually have a test sequence on your end this time (randomly presents itself) where you just needed to press "accept" which you did so I appreciate that.