Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I have a FisherPaykel double diskdrawer DD603-BK-USA Dishdrawer.

I have a FisherPaykel double diskdrawer DD603-BK-USA Dishdrawer. The top drawer is not draining at all. I have already replaced the drain hose and motor. There are no blockages in the drain system. There are no error codes. The dishes are being washed and come out clean, but there is a lot of soapy water in the bottom on the drawer.

/Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today.

repairguy :

You said you replaced the drain hose and motor or motor rotor?

repairguy :

Are you familiar with how to put this unit is diagnostics

Customer:

Yes.

repairguy :

Take two cap fulls of vegtable oil and put it in the drawer giving you the trouble, then put the unit is diagnostic and start the FC cycle from the diagnostic selection

repairguy :

Are you only having suds or is there actual water?

Customer:

Water. It looks a bit soapy, but it is mostly water. It covers the bottom by about a 1/4 inch

Customer:

No suds.

repairguy :

Were there any nicks on the bottom of the motor rotor?

Customer:

What will the vegetable oil do?

repairguy :

The vegtable oil should help with the soapy water

Customer:

There were nicks on the bottom of the rotor. Only on one

repairguy :

When you replaced the drain hose did you see the flapper

Customer:

ONly one one rotor arm. Just a small nick. I took a knife blade and cleaned it up and it turns fine.

Customer:

I also replaced the valve flapper.

repairguy :

What color was it?

Customer:

On the new hose it was black. On the original hose it was redish brown.

repairguy :

Does your drain hose have a sufficient high loop still, even though you replaced the flapper, that does not stop the water from flowing backwards

Customer:

Yes. I replaced a working drain hose, routing it exactly as it was before. The dishdrawer was working fine for several years. Then one day my wife said it was not draining.

Customer:

It is the top drawer that is not draining. The bottom drawer drains fine.

repairguy :

Please run the FC cycle and let me know what the oucome is

Customer:

I will. Being called to dinner now. Back later. HOw do I contact you later?

Customer:

I am in Colorado.

repairguy :

Just leave the page open and start typing when you are ready, I will be on here til 10

Customer:

Eastern time? I am Mountain

repairguy :

Central I am in Missour

repairguy :

Missouri

Customer:

The 5 min FC test takes a lot longer than 5 minutes. It seemed to take about 20 - 30 mins. And there is still water in the bottom of the washer tub. Same soapy water as before it appears.

repairguy :

hit the power button and turn it off

Customer:

The FC test ended with no error codes.

repairguy :

Then put it back in diagnosteic

repairguy :

Hit power button once and When you see HO push the start button til you see p2 then hit lock and let me know if all the water disappears

Customer:

OK. give me a few mins.

Customer:

Water is still in tub. The scrubbing brush icon was there, but it did not drain any water. It sounded like something was being washed, but I did not hear any water go down the sink drain like I had before when it was working properly. I could hear water going down the drain before when it was draining properly.

repairguy :

You were on P2?

Customer:

Yes.

repairguy :

Is the motor rotor locked in place

repairguy :

Could you see the top of it spinning, you can remove the spray arm to see the top

Customer:

Yes, all components are locked in as they should be. No leaks.

Customer:

Can I run this test with the drawer open?

repairguy :

yes as long as you are in diagnostic

Customer:

Ahhh. I did not know that. I will rerun that tesdt.

Customer:

The top of the rotor is spinning. Water does not seem to drain.

repairguy :

Ok take everything out of the top drawer, except the motor rotor

Customer:

Everything is out.

repairguy :

There is a path between the motor rotor and the area where the pea trap sits

repairguy :

do you have anything that you can push through the small hole to verify it is not blocked

repairguy :

oh to do this you will need to pull the motor rotor

Customer:

I will get a large paperclip.

repairguy :

That might work

Customer:

Do I need to drain all the water before pulling the motor rotor?

repairguy :

no

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

There is nothing clogging the path to the rotor. I pushed a piece of strong wire all the way into the rotor, I could see and feel the wire.

repairguy :

Please reinstall the motor rotor and activate the P

repairguy :

2

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Motor rotor back in, activate P2. Still does not drain.

Customer:

Rotor spins fine. It spins to the right like it should be spitting water into the tub.

Customer:

I think it is counterclockwise

repairguy :

It sounds like the flapper is stopping the water, I would remove the flapper and run without,that is how mine are run at home

Customer:

OK. That will take a bit of work and I'll need to defer that to another weekend. I would need to drain, and take the tub apart, a lot of work as you know.

repairguy :

I understand,

Customer:

Any chance the motor is not turning the proper rotation for draining? Or should I replace the bottom part of the rotor that sits down in the motor itself?

Customer:

I don't understand why this would suddenly stop working? I replaced the drain hose and flap valve, and the motor today. Maybe the flap valve is getting jammed as I push the drain tub into the motor assembly?

Customer:

Anyway, thanks for your help. At least I now know that I can test it pretty quickly once it is all back together. I can pour water in the tub and do a P2 test and know within a few minutes if it is fixed.

repairguy :

I am thinking it might be jammed also

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.