Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My 8 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator freezer model # XXXXX

My 8 year old Kitchenaid refrigerator freezer model # XXXXX heats up to 20 degrees and will revert back to 0 degrees if I turn it off for a few hours. It will remain at 0 for a few hours or days. The vertical bar that separates the freezer from the refrigerator part becomes burning hot. I've had 2 fans replaced, the coils cleaned, and now the control board was replaced. The problem still remains. I ordered the control board from Sears and they substituted the old model #(NNN) NNN-NNNNwith(NNN) NNN-NNNNbecause the old one is no longer available. Do you think the control board is the incorrect one or defective? Do you have any other suggestions? I was told the freezer temperature varies during the day due to a defrost cycle. If so, how much should it vary? Thank you for any suggestions you may give me.
Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today. The control board is not the issue, that control board is the correct replacement for your old board. the two fans you had replaced was one the condenser fan in the back next to the compressor ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had 3 different service companies. Two have told me it was the control board. Yes, they replaced the fan next to the compressor

okay what you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer behind you food.and check the frost pattern on the coils, can you do that? also your model number isn't comming up can you look inside the refrigerator section for a tag on the side wall or ceiling and recheck that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

kscs25INss00 is corrected# I will try to do this now and will get back to you in a minute

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed - slipped out- a 1' by 2 foot panel in the upper part of the freezer and did not see coils. Do I have to remove a part that requires a screw driver?

you need to remove panel number 17 on this diagram.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are many parts in the diagram. Do you mean the flat panel on the back of lower part of the freezer?

yes the one with the red arrow. graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is going to take me a little while to remove it, but I did see some coils with frost- some parts with excess frost-bumps- through the open grate in the bottom of the refrigerator. Is this helpful or do I have to remove the part? Do I need to unplug the refrigerator

unplug the refrigerator and remove it, we need to see the frost pattern. take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I going to have to ask a service person to do it. What frost pattern are you looking for which will determine if it is a problem?

okay, What we are trying to find out is if this is low on freon. when the center strip gets red hot its either a lot of dust clogging the coils underneath the refrigerator , the fan has stalled in the back by the compressor (which you replaced) or its low on freon and this is running all the time to try and cool this to temp and hold it. you can tell by the frost pattern on the coils. if theres one area heavily frosted and area's that are not its a freon issue. the coils should be evenly frosted from top to bottom but lightly not heavily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If this is not the problem, then do you have any other suggestions? Should the freezer temperature fluctuate throughout the day and if so, by how much? This is when the freezer has not been opened for hours. After you answer this I will rate you. If the service person does not find a freon problem, can I recontact you?

Okay well there are temp sensors also but they wouldn't make the strip hot. You can rate me and this question will remain open for as long as you need me so just come back and reply and I will get it. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. before I rate you can you please answer the question about how much fluctuation freezer should get during the day or should it remain at 0 or close to 0 all the time. The company tells me that it goes through a defrost cycle

It does go through a defrost cycle every 8 hours but that should really change the temp in the freezer that much because the defroster is behind the panel but sometimes the temp can rise a bit in the freezer but should recover is a very short time. it could be your seeing the temp change right after a defrost cycle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I will rate you now.

okay , you can come back anytime I'll be here .