Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Have an Avanti FF100 refrigerator that cut out during the night.

Have an Avanti FF100 refrigerator that cut out during the night. I have tried leaving it unplugged for more than five minutes and then plugging back in but no joy. Is there a reset button somewhere?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Is that all there is to your model number ? its not comming up. can you check in the refrigerator itself and see if theres a tag with the full model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is all there is. This is the link to the user manual.

http://www.avantiproducts.com/manual/ff100.pdf

okay when you plug this in does anything run ? fans, lights, compressor? or is it completely dead ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The light comes on but that's it. It has been hot here. The unit is about 10 years old.

Okay, this can only be one of two things, 1 the cold control has failed. (thats the dial you turn to turn this on) or two the defrost control is stuck in defrost and didn't come out.The issue I'm having is I cant pull up diagrams for this model. unplug the unit, open the control panel (where the cold control is) and you will see two wires going to the cold control. take the two wires off and bypass the cold control, (connect the two wires together and tape them) then plug it in, Does it start ?

this is the cold control. Temperature Control Thermostat(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Never mind, I got it. However, the wires go into these plastic pieces that plug into the back of the fridge. I don't see how I can bypass.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hold please. I am unscrewing part of the cold control so I remove the wires on that end. They are encased in plastic & plugged in with very little room to move around.

okay
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I don't see how I can get the plastic parts off of the wires in order to connect them. It is on very tightly. I could cut it or alternately the wires themselves to hot wire it. You suggested that it might be the defrost being stuck on. I did have a bit of water in the refrigerator recently. Can try that first before I start cutting things?

Yeah these are tight, I wouldn't cut anything just get a piece of jumper wire you can stick into the connectors. this is only a test. your only going to see if the fans come on and compressor then unplug it. heres the bad part.you can probably find a cold control for this if thats the issue but all other parts for this are discontinued, heres what it says. http://www.avantiproducts.com/parts-accessories click that link. there maybe a universal cold control that will work though. the defrost timer I cant even find and no diagram shows where it is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried with a piece of wire and nothing.

And what you are saying is, even if I can find the defrost timer and determine that that is the problem, I won't be able to replace it, yes?

Well I cant find it on any diagrams I'm able to pull up. I don't know where its located on your refrigerator. its definitely the issue if this does nothing jumping out the cold control. most of the defrost timers look like this. Defrost Timer 482493 Main Product Viewthat little gray knob turns and if you can find the defrost timer try turning that gray dial. if it starts then you know for sure the timer has failed, theres nothing else besides the cold control and the timer that send the power to the compressor and fans so I know thats the issue.if you can get it going you could run this but it will frost up and need to be manually defrosted every 3 weeks or so. if you send me a picture of your I'll try and find a replacement. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found it. For anyone else who might ask you, it's behind a metal plate at the point where the ac power enters the fridge. There are two screws to take off and then one screw to release the timer from the box. However it does not have a little grey knob. It looks like this:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/1718180/TMDE_Defrosted_Timers.html

theres no knob on the other side ? I believe this is the one your talking about correct ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes! It just did not look like a knob. When I twist it clockwise it makes a ratchet like sound. In fact, this bit sticks out of the metal housing the timer is in.

Okay great ! Did it start ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the man!

I should probably just get a new one but at least I have some time now.

Yes it will be best to replace it if you can find one. good job ! Please don't forget to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you, its the only way I get credit. thanks and best wishes, Bryan