Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

we have a dacor DMO2420S - made in March 2002. we have never

Customer Question

we have a dacor DMO2420S - made in March 2002.

we have never had a problem with it until today. i was standing in the kitchen and the microwave was not in use. suddenly the door to the microwave popped until all by itself. now it won't latch when we shut the door.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..are the hooks on the door still spring loaded? if you open the door and lift up on the 2 plastic hooks there should be some resistance and spring back

Customer:

the two hooks can be pushed up and they fall back down via gravity

Randy 43 :

they should be spring loaded ,if you push them up there is no resistance?

Customer:

no resistance

Randy 43 :

push up very easily?

Customer:

yes

Randy 43 :

if there is no resistance and are easily pushed up then you would need to latch hook assembly , possibly the spring but the spring is pretty durable , but the latch hook has a tab on it made of plastic that is the weak part of the system ..the parts are cheap to fix that but the inner door yoke would need to come off and the wrapper of the microwave ,to access the door liner to do the repair

Randy 43 :

Door Hook - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Door Hook

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Microwave door latch

Manufacturer Number 86785

More

$2.70

Quantity:

In Stock

Randy 43 :

Door Spring - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

Door Spring

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Latch spring

Manufacturer Number 86786

More

$1.00

Quantity:

Out of Stock

Click for Expected Ship Date

Customer:

the window your answers appear in is about 1/4" tall - i cannot see what you are saying i should o

Customer:

do

Randy 43 :

i dont know what that is , some sort of glitch ? i can see your posts perfectly

Customer:

i can't see anyway to disassemble the door - there are no screws or snaps that i can locate

Randy 43 :

maybe we switch to Q&A ?

Randy 43 :

the inner plastic piece snaps out

Randy 43 :

Door Frame - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this snaps out ,use a small screwdriver

Customer:

i will try

Randy 43 :

dont pull to hard or it can crack but try prying it in a few different spots

Customer:

i got it out, but broke one of the slot posts - there are 11 good ones left

Customer:

the spring looks fine, but i can't see what part of the door it would hook to. the place the spring connects to the hook slider is fine.

Customer:

you still there?

Randy 43 :

yes . that hook is ok?

Randy 43 :

you may just need to attach it back on that tab if it is intact still?

Customer:

it appears to me the place the spring attaches to the door has broken off

Randy 43 :

yes that tab is weak ,that is what i was saying ,you will need that latch hook like the above pic

Randy 43 :

door piece is metal the latch hook is plastic

Customer:

the latch hook seems fine - i don't see the metal part, on the door, where the bottom of the spring would attach

Randy 43 :

it hooks onto that metal liner , there should be a little slot there cut into the metal piece ,its a little hard to explain ,its has a little tension not a whole lot ,so look about 1/4 past the length of the spring when it dangles down

Randy 43 :

if you can hook it into a place where it wont pop out ,itll work as well ,ive done that when waiting for parts and it worked just as good

Customer:

i think there used to be a post there - there was a part that fell out when i took the frame out. but it is plastic. no where to hook the spring that i can see

Customer:

found the part and i can see where it broke off. it is plastic.

Randy 43 :

so it is attached to the piece with 2 hooks ? because that has a plastic tab right in the middle of that piece

Customer:

it is the part that secures the bottom of the spring

Randy 43 :

if you can drill a small hole in that vicinity anywhere it will be just as good as long as the tension is the same

Randy 43 :

or replace part

Customer:

looks like it would be the whol plast door to replace

Randy 43 :

that is what i mean ,it can be expensive to replace that ,but sometimes if you have a spot you can drill a tiny hole and mount the spring so it is close to the original space ,it is just as good without replacing expensive parts

Randy 43 :

Door Frame 86782B Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

door isnt bad $69

Randy 43 : Door Frame 86782B

RepairClinic Item #756914 (OEM Part)

$69.95

Door screen, black

Manufacturer Number 86782B

More
Customer:

drilled a hole and it works perfectly. thanks

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert