Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

Ge Monogram ice maker not making ice

Ge Monogram ice maker not making ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Can I get the complete model number of the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ZDIS15CSSH GE Monogram

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
SOrry, I have no info on this model, I will opt out and another expert will try to help you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dave. I need to ask a few questions to help you locate your problem. Is there anything running? Does the light come on when you open the door? Is the icemaker plugged into a wall outlet of a secondary drain pump installed under the icemaker? This will help me know where to go for the problem. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ice maker is perfectly clean in and out. When it is first powered on it works perfectly for hours. as it makes ice the level in the bin increases up to the sensor and the machine shuts down as it's designed to do. when it's time for the machine to begin making ice again, all that runs is the water pump. The compressor and fan do not turn on unless I power the machine off for about 30 mins and then on again. there is plenty of water running across the freeze plate, the pump works fine, the light inside is on. all the components work fine but there is a glitch that keeps the compressor from kicking back on after a while. Could it be the start relay/overload that is attached to the compressor, or might it be the control panel, and if it is the latter, is it the PC board or the push button portion?

Thanks for that information. It is not the compressor relay because that would not stop the fan from running. If you press the clean button it does diagnostics before it start the clean cycle. If either of the two thermistors have failed the Cleaning LED will flash. If it does flash you need to count the flashes. They will repeat a few times. Then all the components should operate for 5 seconds at a time and then the clean cycle starts compressor and hot gas valve on. This lasts 20 minutes and the circulating water should get hot. After a total time of 50 minutes it will end and you can start it in a freeze mode. If it all operated as it should with no error in clean it is a defective control and not the switch. If the switch failed it would not be intermittent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So once I start the clean cycle, if the LED starts to flash the thermistors are faulty. If there is no flashing LED and the clean cycle runs as it should, it is the PC Board?

Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I just started a cleaning cycle and obviously the red LED light is steady to show that it's in the clean cycle. when will the blinking start if there is indeed a problem? At the end of the the cycle or during?

Also ,How do I leave feedback?

At the beginning. The thermistors are checked during the first few minutes of clean. You can rate my answer from this answer. Let me know if you have nay other questions.
Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore