Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a whirlpool duet washer (2008). I keep getting an F70

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool duet washer (2008). I keep getting an F70 error. The tub still moves. The error seems to happen when the machine tries to change to a new cycle, i.e., going from wash to drain or rinse. I have had a whirlpool tech here to repair it and he doesn't know what to do. He has called whirlpool and they can't give an answer either. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..i guess he has looked up the error code? do you have a model number? does it happen every load?

Customer:

We looked up the error code and the tech and whirlpool agreed on codes to input, but it didn't work. The model number is XXXXX It happens every load, the door locks, then unlocks, locks again, the machine washes, then goes to F70. The door remains locked.

Customer:

The lights also go out of sync on the timer.

Customer:

We have cut off the power, and when we start the washer it goes back to the very beginning again.

Randy 43 :

the infortmation site is not coming up , so the tech didnt replace any parts?

Customer:

No, he didn't know what to replace and whirlpool couldn't tell him what to replace.

Randy 43 :

he just checked all the connections to the latch and upper and lower boards?

Customer:

He checked everything on all the connections.

Randy 43 :

F70 does come up on the tech sheet for that model , i have had to change the upper board for a F70 but i was getting the drum not moving, if your drum is moving ? then the user interface looks to be the fault , im surprised that the techline didnt have this info? but ill paste exactly what the whirlpool tech site says regarding the F70

Randy 43 :

If a Central Control Unit Heartbeat Failure is displayed, no communication
is detected from the Central Control Unit (CCU) to the User Interface.
Signaux de contrôle du fonctionnement constamment absents sur le MCC – mesure via
l’interface utilisateur sur la ligne de communication entre MCC et IU.
Possible Causes/Procedure
Check for continuity of the User Interface harness.
Check wire harness connections to the User Interface and the CCU.
Replace User Interface if drum is rotating.
Replace Central Control Unit if drum is not moving.

Randy 43 :

the CCU is the board on the top right hand side

Randy 43 :

I have this board going the majority of the time , more than the MCU (motor control unit )

Customer:

Where is the User Interface?

Customer:

The drum is moving.

Randy 43 :

user interface is the front board ,the board you push the functions

Customer:

Is it part of the CCU?

Randy 43 :

Control Board - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

no the CCU is the board on the top right side

Randy 43 :

user interface is the very front board,you can see it when the top is off

Customer:

So I need to replace the user interface in the very front. Is this correct and do I ask for the "user interface" when I call for parts?

Randy 43 :

they are only joined with a wire harness, that is why i asked you if the tech checked all the connections

Customer:

Do you have parts, and if so, is this something I can do myself?

Randy 43 :

Control Board

RepairClinic Item #(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Electronic control

Manufacturer Number W10319814

More

Randy 43 :

it is commonly refered to as the user interface board or main control, tell the parts person it is the very front board that you program

Randy 43 :

and yes you can do it depending on mechanical ability , top comes off and it is right in the front

Customer:

I see that it is out of stock. It must happen a lot. I am buried in washing - lol.

Randy 43 :

you dont have to get it online at repairclinic ,any online place or your local parts place can get it for you

Customer:

Thank you very much. I will try that. If it doesn't work, I'll be back.

Randy 43 :

ok ,sounds good ,good luck

Customer:

Bye

Randy 43 :

see ya

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy43,

We installed the parts you suggested. The machine still doesn't work and we have exactly the same problems. What do you suggest now? Since the door locks, unlocks, and locks again, could it be the lock mechanism itself?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thenk you,

Carolyn and Paul

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
yes it could be the lock mechanism ,that is probably the most common part to go but it usually gives of a different code?, that F70 is a communication error between boards but theoretically it could be causing the error to come by a bad latch , not impossible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy
We ran the tests from the sechmatic and all we get is c00 code.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like you put it into a quick diagnostic test ,it runs thru all the components C00 is the first test ,it checks the door lock by locking and unlocking ,it goes all the way to C08 checking each component, it should flash any errors if it senses while in the quick diagnostics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The washer does not work with the door closed anymore. We have to hold the door lock button in continuously. It works for a while, then goes back to C00. Then it goes to F70.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
i didnt know about that , if you have to press the button then i would say the latch is a good possibility
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The latch was fine, we thought, until we installed the new parts. Then we realized it wasn't working. We have ordered a new latch. I will let you know what happens.

Thank you for the help. I hope this is the last repair for a while!