Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I had a small explosion sound and my oven quit working. Both

I had a small explosion sound and my oven quit working. Both elements are out. The stove top, clock, etc. work fine. It is old. Maybe it is model XXXXXXXXX but I am not sure
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is the top electric? and those elements work ok?

Customer:

yes, correct

Customer:

to clarify -- i don't know that the elements are really out but neither heats now

Randy 43 :

the topo elements do work ? or you are not sure? if the top elements are electric and they work ok then that verifies that there is the proper voltage reaching the range

Customer:

yes the top elements work, as does the clock

Randy 43 :

..so you are going to have a voltage issue getting to the oven elements , remove the rear panel and check for visible shorts ,if that looks all ok ,it will be a relay on the clock ,it is unlikely that both the oven elements are faulty at the same time , they both get their power from the clock , if you have a model number i can look that up

Customer:

i can't find the model number. it might be XXXXXXXXX that is the only number I could find. I looked on the back, around the oven door, under the stove top.

Customer:

we should not ocntinue if having a model number is XXXXX

Customer:

I thought the fact there was the sound of a small expolosion prior to the oven stopping might identify what is going on.

Customer:

Also, before it went out, it seemed to get much hotter, but I could be wrong about that.

Randy 43 :

that model comes up as all xxxx's can you put numbers then a dot

Randy 43 :

that definately sounds like a clock issue of the relay sticking and a runaway temp

Randy 43 :

small explosion sounds like a relay shorted out

Customer:

there are no dots

Randy 43 :

what are the numbers ? maybe space them out so they dont show as xxx's

Customer:

3 1 6 2 2 1 0 0 1

Customer:

this # XXXXX XXXXX a small metal plate that says what number to call at Frigedaire

Customer:

i think usually a model # XXXXX say model# XXXXX by the number but is not the case here

Randy 43 :

you looked around storage drawer area ? that is where frigidaire usually puts them?

Customer:

FEF351CUB

Customer:

I can't believe I didn't find it! It is so obvious

Randy 43 :

ok here is the clock , if the top elements are ok ,then definatelty the main power coming to the range is fine , remove the rear panel check for any burn marks on the frame or burnt wires down from the clock to the oven elements ..you can check the oven elements with a meter if you wish ,they should both have continuity , if all that is good replace the clock , the relay on the back supplies power to both oven elements

Randy 43 :

Oven Control BoardNNN-NN-NNNNAlternate Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 : Oven Control BoardNNN-NN-NNNN

RepairClinic Item #1036364 (OEM Part)

$170.35

Electronic oven control

Manufacturer NumberNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

More

Customer:

just to confirm -- that is true even though the clock seems to be functioning just fine?

Customer:

is it more expensive to order from the comments you just made or can I just go into my local Sears and find the part? Any idea how long shipping takes?

Randy 43 :

yes, the lites ,clock ,all work off 120 volts ,but all the elements including the top ones req 220 volts to heat ,you can have a display but non heating elements

Randy 43 :

the oven gets its other power source from the clock relay

Randy 43 :

the top elements are not in the ooven circuit but req the same initial 220 from the wall outlet

Randy 43 :

repairclinic.com is pretty fast 3-4 days but if you can get the part cheaper and faster that is the way to go

Customer:

OK -- I will get this part and have it put in -- any need to for the repair manual for the person installing it?

Randy 43 :

no repair manual needed for tech , but i would recommend just a quick look at the rear of the range just for anything obvious just in case if youare comfortable with that

Randy 43 :

it may be a wire on the clock shorted out and the clock could still function with a minor wiring repair

Customer:

ok -- meaning that I might need that part lmentioned above?

Randy 43 :

yes ,if the wiring is ok then you need the clock above

Randy 43 :

if there is a short it will be obvious a black molten metal

Customer:

ok thank you

Randy 43 :

ok good luck

Customer:

thank you

Randy 43 :

no problem

Customer:

Am I supposed to do anything more now?

Randy 43 :

you rate the answer if your ok with that , if you want to rate poorly ,ask me how i can help you more ..

Customer:

OK, I did rate you. Thank you.

Customer:

Is there any way you can suggest . cute to the age as evidenced by themodel number, how old this stove is and whether or not I"m better off replacing or repairing it?

Customer:

due to the age

Randy 43 :

the question is still open ,no ratings have been posted, but as for the age i would req the serial number, if you have that i can determine the age

Customer:

thank you - it is VF41133060

Randy 43 :

first number is the year it was manufactured ,so it was made in the 11th week of 2004

Customer:

does that imply anything to you re: the value of repairing vs replacing?

Randy 43 :

i think you still have 6-8 years out of , i dont think it is done , stove dont have a lot of moving parts so they can go on for a long time

Customer:

great -- good to know. thak you

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert