Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

We have a Maytag refigerator PSB2352gr. The freezer side seems

We have a Maytag refigerator PSB2352gr. The freezer side seems to be working fine, but the refridge is not very cold despite being turned up to the highest setting. In fact, our milk keeps spoiling. Also, the inside of the door is hot to the touch.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you

Customer:

great. thank you. i hope that you can solve my problem.

repairguy :

Can you please open the freezer door and look at the rear wall of the compartment. I need to know if you see frost on the rear wall

Customer:

No, I do not see frost on the rear wall of the freezer. It's cold to the touch, but no frost.

repairguy :

if you push in the door switch on the freezer door with it open, can you hear the fan running?

Customer:

yes. the light goes out, but I hear a fan.

Customer:

just to clarify, it is not the freezer side that seems to be the problem...

repairguy :

I understand it is the fresh food side, but on a refrigerator like yours the only side that cools is the freezer. The fresh food is supplied cold air by forced air from the fan I asked you to check

Customer:

oh... seems like the fan works

repairguy :

The only other thing that controls the amount of cold air into the fridge is called a damper, it is located up near the controls in the fresh food side

Customer:

I see that area. There is something in the upper left corner. Is that it? Should there be styrafoam in that area?

repairguy :

Yes and then there is a door inside the styrofoam that opens to allow the air into the unit

repairguy :

I am going to send you a link so you can see the breakdown of where the door is

Customer:

I see the diagram, but I am not sure which piece it is.

repairguy :

number 10 is the door. The only way to check is to close the freezer door, and from what it looks like is as you turn the freezer control knob, it will open or close the door, you should be able to feel the air change or at least hear the door open or close. Please do this and I will wait.

Customer:

Yes, I see it. As I turn the freezer down, the door opens...

repairguy :

Can you feel air coming through the opening

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

what is the point of the part that hangs down with the holes in it?

repairguy :

The only other thing is the control assy. Number 3 in the picture

repairguy :

Im not real sure what the purpose of that piece is

Customer:

no, it looks like # XXXXX in this diagram

repairguy :

Yes I know what piece you are talking about.

repairguy :

I am saying the only other part to fix your unit is part number 3

Customer:

oh. should I do something with #3

repairguy :

The only thing you can do is replace it.

repairguy :

If you google search the part number you may find it a little cheaper than the website I gave you.

Customer:

I am not sure where the assy is.

repairguy :

61003456 is the part number you need to repair your unit.

Customer:

how do you know that this part is broken? what exactly does it do and where is it located?

repairguy :

It is located behind the knob that controls the temp in the fresh food area

Customer:

how am I able to see this part?

repairguy :

The reason I know, is because of all the tests we have performed, checking for ice in the freezer, checking the fan, then the damper door, the only thing left that controls the temperature is this one piece

repairguy :

The plastic housing will need to be removed, then you will just disassemble til you get to the control, it really will not be that hard

repairguy :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you tonight?

Customer:

no, I think that I am all set. Thank you!

repairguy :

When you get the part, if you have trouble just come back to this thread and I will be more than happy to help any way I can. Please take a moment to rate my answers before you leave tonight.

Customer:

I do have one more question!

repairguy :

sure

Customer:

Why is the inside of the door so hot?

repairguy :

that is where the highside lines are run, before we end can you check one more thing for me

Customer:

yes

repairguy :

You will need to pull out the unit and there is a fan located near the compressor, can you check that this fan is running

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

where exactly is the fan and/or the compressor?

repairguy :

when you are looking at the back do you see a cover usually cardboard or plastic, but sometimes metal located at the bottom

Customer:

yes. on the back right side it is pulled off a bit.

repairguy :

can you remove the rest of the way and look to see if the fan is running

Customer:

ok. will it be obvious?

repairguy :

should be

Customer:

yes. i see the fan and it is working

repairguy :

That fan is designed to help cool the freon, it is good that it is working. most likely the door will cool once you replace the control.

Customer:

ok, thanks

repairguy :

Have a good night

Customer:

you too!

repairguy :

Thanks

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.