Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Frigidaire Electrolux side by side. The ice make

I have a Frigidaire Electrolux side by side. The ice make is not working. I've determined that it's getting water in and out of the filter and back to the valve on the bottom in the rear of the unit, but not up the line which feeds the ice maker. Can anyone send me schematics/diagrams and help me trouble shoot this. Unfortunately this is on a rental unit that's quite a drive so the better armed I am with information before heading back up the mountain, the better!

Model # XXXXX
Serial # XXXXX
Manufacture date: 12/ 2002

Thanks for the help,

Aaron
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

An Ice maker is a fairly simple thing, it has a valve and a ice maker.

To determine which part has gone wrong it is a simple process of feeling inside the ice maker mold, if you feel ice then the ice maker has a bad contact or motor, if the mold where the ice is made is empty then the problem here is going to be one of two, either the valve has failed or there is a blockage in the water line running from the valve to the ice maker.

The way to determine which is to pull the unit out from the wall, Remove the lower panel in the rear. Once off you will see the valve, Next trace the water line from the ice maker to the inlet valve, remove the water line from the inlet valve. Blow into the water line.

If you can blow air into the water line then the valve is bad and will need to be replaced.

If you cant blow air into the line then there is a blockage in the line, you would need to trace the blockage and thaw it with a hair dryer (normally in the fill tube running from the rear of the fridge to the ice maker)

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike, there is no water in the tray and it seems obvious that the problem is the ice maker itself is not getting water. I pulled the line which feeds the ice maker unit, It is clear. Is there a way to test the signal to the valve? I hate to replace the valve only to discover that's not it? Could there be a problem with the ice maker itself not sending a signal to the valve? Any diagrams you might be able to post?

Thanks,

Aaron

Unfortunately there is no way to test the voltage because there is no way to advance the ice maker to the fill point, this is why you blow through the line, if the line running to the ice maker is clear and you have no ice in the mold then 100 percent the valve has failed.