Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a GE Refrigerator Model #TPX24B4DAWW that has 3 problems

I have a GE Refrigerator Model #TPX24B4DAWW that has 3 problems that could be partial related to each other.
1. When the defrost cycles I end up with water forming ice in the bottom of the freezer that I end up having to remove with the handle of a knife to break it up and a plastic putter knife to scrape it out. Lately the ice has dripped onto some of the items in the freezer and I have to break it off the packages.
2. In the Right Rear Corner of the Ice Bin the cubes continually freeze into a solid block and I have to break it out with an ice pick or knife blade.
3. The Icemaker does not shout off when the Ice Bin is full, it will keep on making until the ice pours out of Door Ice Storage Display. To stop this from happening I must physically lift the Shut Off Wire that runs across the front of the Icemaker.
This Number 3 could be a problem with the Icemaker I am not sure but I do not know what the other two problems are caused by. Could you answer this for me?

Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Item 1 is a easy problem to fix, if you look all the way down the back of the freezer, you will see a trough there, it is probably full of ice and under that is a drain tube that is also frozen, if you can get that ice out using a hair dryer and hot water and a turkey baster for the drain that should fix item 1.

THe other 2 items, are you finding any hollow ice cubes or shattered cubes inside the bin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no drain trough at the back of the freezer. A panel comes down the back of the freezer where the defroster, fan and light are housed and that panel stops about 12 inches from the bottom or floor of the freezer. I have used a hair dryer to remove the ice before and there is no holes or troughs back there.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
at the bottom of item 214 is the drain, if you pull the unit away from the wall and look back there you will see a defrost drain hose. I assure you that there is a drain behind 214

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/G0030056-00003.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You were right, found the tray with a block of ice in it. Removed the ice and used a hair dryer to warm the tray and then a turkey baster to put warm water down the drain hole will see if that does it.

Now what about the Icemaker?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Check to see if you have jagged ice cubes or any hollow ones at all in the bin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No they are all solid until the bin begins to overflow then they start to become partial cubes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I have a feeling you have a bad fill valve on the ice maker, Very common on GE models. I would replace it with the following item

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

This is a complete conversion kit for your unit, it comes with all the installation instructions for you..

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put a new fill valve in about a month ago, no change. The ice cubes do not lift the wire shut off level when the Bin is full of cubes the maker just continues making cubes.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
DOes your ice maker have the wire bail arm or the plastic one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wire Bail Arm

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I thought you had the newer modern icemaker, they came out with an updated icemaker, you can click on the link below to order it.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the GE Refrigerator Model #TPX24B4DAWW it still has the freezing of the ice cubes in the ice cube bin into one solid lump in the right rear corner of the bin. Do you know what causes this?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Did you install the new style icemaker I recommended?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have ordered the new Icemaker and should receive it on Thursday. If you think that that will fix that problem as well I will wait until I receive the Icemaker and replace it then see if that corrects the problem with the ice freezing in the right rear corner of the ice bin.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes, wait unitl you install the new icemaker and see what happens..