Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The bottom element in my Kenmore oven blew out, so I looked

The bottom element in my Kenmore oven blew out, so I looked up the part and got a new one. The "prongs" were longer than the old one, so when we put it in, they stuck out of the insulation almost touching the back of the stove. We weren't sure how it was supposed to be, so we wrapped electrical tape around the connections and tried it. Element doesn't work. Did we do it wrong, or do you think there is more wrong with the stove?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

790.94124407

The replacement part we got was TS775

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay these bake elements do come close to the back on this one. but as long as this didn't short out to the back panel that cant be the issue. are the burners working on top ? also does the broils still work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Burners work and broil works.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not at the moment - my neighbor worked on it, but he's not around right now. Can I get back to you?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes you can, I will be able to tell him what to test, just reply when your ready and I will receive it. thanks and talk then. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, may not be able to reply today. Can I reply tomorrow? Tonite?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely ! Anytime you need me. accept for like 3 in the morning ! LOL sure just get back to me when you can. thanks and talk soon, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Bryan, I'm back and we have the voltage meter. Can you help?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes, first thing you should do is pull the range out and unplug it. remove the back panel so you can see the wiring. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's done. He's been checking and for each side of the element he gets 120, but when he tests element to element, he gets zero.

On broil, element to element he gets 240, and 120 each in neutral on the elements.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , try to wait until I reply, when you post twice before I get to reply it erases my whole explanation. thats okay , give me a minute to rewrite it. please don't reply until I do. thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

trace the one wire that goes up to the clock from the element , its connected here. remove itgraphicthen tape it so it wont touch anything, once thats done plug the range back in and test the wire thats left on. (set the bake for 350) if you get 120 at the element the relay on the clock has failed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He did exactly what you said, and yes, it must be the relay.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry lost my internet last night (Fl. Storms) Okay thats not the best news to be honest, the relay on the board only come mounted on the board so the whole thing has to be replaced (clock) Sears has that in stock on line at this link . http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/316557106/0022/628?pathTaken=directMatch&filterPart=&pop=flush&prst=0&shdPart=316557106 sorry for the bad news, this happens sometimes when the element blows it can blow the relay on the clock. the part number isNNN-NN-NNNN, good job, thanks and have a great weekend. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.