Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

The bottom element in my Kenmore oven blew out, so I looked

The bottom element in my Kenmore oven blew out, so I looked up the part and got a new one. The "prongs" were longer than the old one, so when we put it in, they stuck out of the insulation almost touching the back of the stove. We weren't sure how it was supposed to be, so we wrapped electrical tape around the connections and tried it. Element doesn't work. Did we do it wrong, or do you think there is more wrong with the stove?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Do you have the model number ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The replacement part we got was TS775

Okay these bake elements do come close to the back on this one. but as long as this didn't short out to the back panel that cant be the issue. are the burners working on top ? also does the broils still work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Burners work and broil works.

okay do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not at the moment - my neighbor worked on it, but he's not around right now. Can I get back to you?

yes you can, I will be able to tell him what to test, just reply when your ready and I will receive it. thanks and talk then. Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan, may not be able to reply today. Can I reply tomorrow? Tonite?

Absolutely ! Anytime you need me. accept for like 3 in the morning ! LOL sure just get back to me when you can. thanks and talk soon, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Bryan, I'm back and we have the voltage meter. Can you help?

yes, first thing you should do is pull the range out and unplug it. remove the back panel so you can see the wiring. can you do that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it's done. He's been checking and for each side of the element he gets 120, but when he tests element to element, he gets zero.

On broil, element to element he gets 240, and 120 each in neutral on the elements.

okay , try to wait until I reply, when you post twice before I get to reply it erases my whole explanation. thats okay , give me a minute to rewrite it. please don't reply until I do. thanks

trace the one wire that goes up to the clock from the element , its connected here. remove itgraphicthen tape it so it wont touch anything, once thats done plug the range back in and test the wire thats left on. (set the bake for 350) if you get 120 at the element the relay on the clock has failed.

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He did exactly what you said, and yes, it must be the relay.

I'm sorry lost my internet last night (Fl. Storms) Okay thats not the best news to be honest, the relay on the board only come mounted on the board so the whole thing has to be replaced (clock) Sears has that in stock on line at this link . sorry for the bad news, this happens sometimes when the element blows it can blow the relay on the clock. the part number isNNN-NN-NNNN, good job, thanks and have a great weekend. Bryan