Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My refrigerator is not working properly. A few weeks ago it

My refrigerator is not working properly. A few weeks ago it stopped keeping the food cold. It keeps it chilled but not cold. The icemaker works but the cubes are not as solid as they used to be. The Kenmore is six years old Model NoNNN-NN-NNNN Is there something we can try to do?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door and look at the panel on the lower inside rear, can you see any frost on this panel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Promblem I am at work.

Ok so to clarify the freezer seems to be at the correct temp but the fridge seems to be warmer then it should be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything in the freezer stays frozen. The ice cream is soft, the ice cubes feel a little moist. We have the refridge on the coldest setting

Ok Jeanette thanks, it's very likely the defrost system has failed, behind the panel inside the freezer is the evaporator, below this is the defrost heater and clipped to the top of the evaporator is the defrost sensor/thermostat, these two parts will need to be tested with a ohm meter to determine which one has failed, The part that reads open will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You have helped me. One more question. We do not have a service contract on the fridge. Do you find when this type of problem occurs is it worth fixing? Or is it better to buy another fridge?

This problem is a pretty common problem and should cost you no more then around $150 to fix, if the unit is in good condition it would be well worth fixing :)

Thanks!

Mike.