Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a Kenmore Quietguard 5 - Model # XXXXX I dismantle

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Quietguard 5 - Model # XXXXX I dismantle the bottom and cleaned out all the debris from the pump. The bottom spray bar is fine and pumps alot of water. The top spins freely but does not spin or push water when it's running. Half way up the plastic riser are two hole where the top spray bar goes in so you can raise or lower the top rack. Both hole stay open because the rubber caps don't close all the way. Could this be the problem with not getting enough water to the upper spray arm?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with your dish washer. As you say the flap should close to the opening that is not in use when the dishwasher is running. To test this and prove that is what you need you can block the one that is not in use with tape for a short time to see if that improves the pressure to the top. If this proves to be the problem you can refer to the parts list link for item # XXXXX Let me know if the link does not work or if you have questions. Parts link Dave

Customer:

I have removed the bottom spinner and cleaned out the little reservoir below the screen. Is there any other area that could be reducing water pressure?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Inside the pump there is a check valve flap that keeps water from going down the drain during wash. If it gets warped or damaged you will loose pressure to both arms but it will be more noticeable on the top. It is #5 in the parts link. Parts link Dave

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Thanks, Dave