Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an Electrolux Dishwasher Model EIDW6105GS1. The leak

Customer Question

I have an Electrolux Dishwasher Model EIDW6105GS1. The leak detector light has come one. A technician has told me that we need a "Leak Fix Kit" installed. I am actually willing to have them install it, but it is going to take over two weeks.

I am considering ordering the part, and doing the job myself. How difficult is this? I would say I am "moderate" in skill level with handy work like this.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..it wasnt a one off thing where maybe too much soap one time? or a backed up drain? definately reqs leak kit?

Customer:

yeah.. I removed the toe kick panel and the only light that came on was the "leak detected" light. The technican that came out explained how once the water goes back down.. it will start again.. but then quits when the leak is detected (if I understood him correctly.) I think it is indeed a leak kit issue. He was going to order it today.. but the electrolux office was closed when he called them.

Randy 43 :

ok, what is required to install the leak kit ,DW needs to come out of the installation and tipped on its side (there will be water) ,hopefully the drain hose ,electrical and water line are long enough without having to disconnect any of them ,making it much easier,if not then you need to disconnect water one or two or all of them prevent the DW from coming all the way out ..once it is out there is a bottom panel to remove and then you have access to everything , the leak kit is basically new pieces of hoses with new clamps , a turbidity sensor , drain valve ..you cant see where the leak is from that is why they send all parts in the kit ..if it comes out fine its not too bad , but having to possibly disconnect all the water and electrical can be a pain ,its about a hour to 2 hour job depending on installation

Randy 43 :

i like to tip it to the right ,just my preference to access the components ..not all the way ,i usually put a box under the top so it is 3/4 tipped to the right

Customer:

thanks very much. The good news is that it isn't installed seriously. In fact, while I was trying to figure out this problem, I was able to pull it out. In terms of electrical, it just a regular three prong plug rather than being hard wired. I think I will have room to work.

Customer:

Does the kit come with instructions for us non-technicians? or is it just a bunch of parts?

Randy 43 :

Instructions included , it is hard wired , but if the electrical is long enough just shut the breaker and you can leave the power cord connected

Customer:

excellent. this has been very helpful. this is the first time I've used this site.

Randy 43 :

glad to hear , when your installing kit feel free to ask any questions if you run into any issues

Customer:

i am thinking..... that perhaps if I try this.. I might come back to this site to have someone (perhaps you, if it is possible to schedule something) help me in 'real time' if i get myself into an issue.

Customer:

thanks for that...

Customer:

This is good for now. I think I will order the kit and give it a shot.

Customer:

thanks for help!

Randy 43 :

for sure , just respond to the same question , book mark it .im here almost every nite

Customer:

cool. thanks very much.

Customer:

Have a good night.

Randy 43 :

you too

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Randy ,

I am working on this now. So far... going well, and I think I am going to get through it. However, I am getting stuck with a step "Replace pump discharge hose and clamps"

any trick to dealing with these spring clamps? I am having a hard time getting them expanded enough to clamp the hose to their connection points. Every time I expand them (with pliers) I am not able to get them fully attached.

Would there be any harm in me using regular hose clamps? I may just go the hardward store and get a couple.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
yes you can get the regular ones ,it usually isnt the clamps that leak, you will get them to stay open wider with vice grips ,if you dont have the clamp pliers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randy -

Thanks for your help on this. So I finished installing the main parts of the "leak kit" (there were actually two additional items included.. not on the main instruction sheet.

While I was finishing up, I actually found the leak, and it was in the internal drain hose. We ordered a new one of those, I replaced it when it came in, and the leak is now solved!!

Thanks very much for your help.

I feel confident that I can probably tackle some of these types of repairs on other appliances in the future!

Thanks again!

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.
Im happy it all worked out for you , if you did that job, most others are a lot easier