Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My side-by-side frigidaire model FRS20ZSHB2 is leaking from

My side-by-side frigidaire model FRS20ZSHB2 is leaking from ice/water dispenser on front of freezer door. I've cleaned out the back (lots of dust in there) and the fan is working as are all of the lights on the fridge. Could the water line be clogged? I noticed something was wrong when our refrigerator side started smelling and nothing was staying cold. Then I noticed freezer thawing. This happened earlier this morning. Now the front is leaking water.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..is the freezer thawing ? if it isnt cold enough the the ice bucket will start to thaw out ..is there any layer of frost on the rear panel of the freezer section inside halfway down ,in behind the shelves ?

Randy 43 :

hi did you receive my posts?

Customer:

yes i just recieved your posts

Customer:

yes the freezer is thawing

Customer:

the top shelves are completely thawed and the bottom shelf is still cold though probably not 100% frozen. The ice is beginning to melt in the tray too.

Customer:

i will check this thread in the morning. thanks.

Randy 43 :

ok , do you hear a fan running in the freezer?

Customer:

yes. it seems to be getting cold now after i cleaned out the dust from back of unit.

Customer:

and the water has stopped leaking too.

Customer:

i was wrong. the water is now leaking from only one spot in front versus 3.

Customer:

And the air is warm in the refrigerator.

Randy 43 :

ok any frost on the rear panel inside the freezer section ?

Randy 43 :

can you hear the fan in the freezer running?

Customer:

yes i can hear fan running

Customer:

yes frost on rear panel inside freezer section about 1.5" under ice cube section.

Randy 43 :

is the frost all along on the rear panel to the bottom where the slots are cut ? about 2 feet in length?

Customer:

there is frost along the entire back of the freezer but the ice in the ice maker is melting slowly and the food that I have in the top shelf in door is completely defrosted. the stuff in the drawers in the bottom is still frozen.

Randy 43 :

ok, the ice will melt because you have a defrosting problem ,there isnt supposed to be any frost on the rear panel ,the frost build up actually starts blocking airflow to both sections and the temps start rising causing the warm temps ,in behind that rear panel is a coil that frosts up ,one of 3 parts is going to be the issue , most likely the defrost thermostat ...it is the most common part that goes on that model, if you have a meter you can check each component if you wish? im not sure of your mechanical ability ? this is the part that i find is usually the problem , it should have continuity if imbedded in frost?

Randy 43 :

Defrost Thermostat - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

heater is the other part,it very rarely goes

Randy 43 :

and neither does the timer ,it is pretty durable

Randy 43 :

Defrost Timer - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #NNN-NN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

this timer

Randy 43 :

Defrost Heater Assembly - Part # XXXXX Mfg Part #NNN-NN-NNNN width=
Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

heater, never had to change one of these

Customer:

let's assume it's the defrost thermostat. how do i get to it and what do i do once i get it?

Randy 43 :

you remove that reart panel , confirm that the evaporator coil is fully frosted ,find the thermostat embedded in frost ,it is at the top of the coil, clipped onto one of the lines of the coil. check the connections of that thermostat making sure they havent come loose. if all ok you can confirm that thermostat has continuity thru it ,it should be closed ,if it does not it is faulty and you replace it ,unclip and attach wires. thaw evaporator ,reassemble rear panel ..all set

Customer:

how much should this cost me if i hire someone?

Customer:

just curious

Randy 43 :

Part about $20-$30 if thermostat ..service call and labour $120 -$140 ..$140-$170 approx

Randy 43 :

you definately should not have any frost on the rear panel of the freezer..

Customer:

ok how do i access the rear panel? through freezer?

Randy 43 :

yes through freezer ,all shelves out and the lower panel usually has 4-6 screws..when that is off you see the coil and above that the fan and the thermostat and heater in between the coil

Customer:

ok let me ty to fix and then get back to you.

Customer:

thank you

Randy 43 :

ok

Customer:

ok i have the freezer panel off. obviously there is quite a bit of frost on the unit. i'm not exactly sure what i'm looking at other than the motor and fan. can you direct me from here?

Full Size Image

Randy 43 :

yes that is a defrost issue ,i can see the thermostat from the pic ,it has the red and white wires going to it ,that little bulb , make sure those connections are tight ,where they plug in ,the red and white wires ..

Randy 43 :

if they are tight and no ice in between the connections ,breaking the connection , i would suspect that thermostat as the problem , it would require a meter to check for continuity to be 100% sure , but it is usually almost always the problem when the coil does not defrost

Customer:

i'm headed to my office for a bit but will be back around noon and plan on diving into this deeper then. the freezer is almost 100% defrosted so i can take a better look at connections. where is the best place to get a new part if needed?

Customer:

looks like all connections are good.

Randy 43 :

you can pick up the thermostat online at repairclinic.com or any local place can get it for you its a pretty common part

Randy 43 :

Defrost Thermostat

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Defrost thermostat kit, L55-20F

Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

More

$15.85

Quantity:

Customer:

i found a local appliance parts store that has it in stock so I am picking one up tomorrow. i will install tomorrow and if it's not working may i contact you further?

Randy 43 :

yes , just respnd t the same question , dont forgett you need to melt that frost

thx