Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

hi Jon im having problems with my mah9700. after diagnosing

Customer Question

hi Jon
im having problems with my mah9700. after diagnosing that it was either control board or motor. i went out to buy a new motor and my washer still displays E3. so now i replace my controller board and it wont spin up.
please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

How are you? besides having issues with your washer?

Customer:

yes

Jon :

Give me one minute to pull up diagrams for your unit. be right back.

Customer:

k

Jon :

the last few digits of the washer, are they avm or aww?

Customer:

awm.

Jon :

Ok thank you.

Jon :

the e3 error is for the hall sensor on the motor. It is not sensing at what speed the motor is spinning.

Jon :

what was the issue? did the error come up on random times throughout the cycles. becoming more and more inconsistent at times.

Jon :

to the point where it just fails?

Customer:

i've replaced the old iwth new and its the newer model board.

Customer:

new board got rid of e3.

Customer:

and with new board it will NOT spin to FULL 1200rpm.

Customer:

34001497 NEW

Jon :

ahhh! ok. that is the key factor. you may have had a few bad parts here. And now after replacing the motor and control board you are now seeing the tach error coming into play more and more. The tach error if comes up still is not sensing how fast the motor is spinning and will not spin up to full potential. if it spins at all.

Jon :

you need to replace the hall or otherwise known as the rps sensor.

Jon :

it is rather cheap part consisdering the price for the motor and control.

Jon :

let me get pricing for you now. and the part info as well.

Customer:

rpm sensor? or what is rps?

Jon :

rps. did i mispell it above?

Jon :

sorry.

Jon :

stand for rotor position sensor

Customer:

kk.

Jon :

it goes just off the rotor in the back of the machine

Customer:

no you didn't. just makin i'm reading right.

Jon :

k

Jon :

let me check the info. be right back.

Jon :

sorry for the delay.

Jon :

it looks as if whirlpool only sells the sensor with the motor now. cant get it separtely like you used to be able to.

Jon :

darn.

Jon :

the correct part number for the motor is 34001269. is that what you replaced?

Customer:

yeh but i replaced with brand new motor and control board.

Jon :

yes. but is ee above you have a different part number. if you replaced the motor with an old part number then you have not put in the most up to date motor/ parts. whirlpool updates there parts constantly for chnges like this.

Jon :

that could be the whole issue right there.

Jon :

here is the picture of the part.

Customer:

this is old board and i replaced it with 34001492.

Jon :

let me check it.

Customer:

sorry old board was 1492 and new board is 34001497.

Jon :

yes. that is correct and most up to date part number for the control board. part number 34001497

Jon :

what was the part number your replaced the motor with?

Customer:

this is motor i got and it should be compatible.
DC31-00049A

Jon :

And did you look at the picture above i sent you of the motor? and did you replace the brown rps sensor that sits on the motor and stator?

Jon :

that is a samsung part number. let me check it but usually they are not compatiable

Customer:

i'm pretty sure they are compatible. since that model washer was mfg by samsung.

Jon :

that model washer wasnt manf by samsung. samsung for a short period of time made some components for maytag as they were going out of business. all parts now are made by whirlpool. and since you have updated the new control board you need the whirlpool version of the motor. that is the whole problem.

Customer:

the motor comes with the rps sensor builtin.

Jon :

the motor part number you need is 34001269

Jon :

yes. the rps sensor now is built into and on the motor. but if you had old part number by samsung with new board the machine will not operate correctly.

Jon :

basically the machine is not communicating correctly and will not spin up to the required 1400-1600 rpms. change the motor with correct part number i just gave you and you should be good.

Jon :

you can see here what the replacement notes are. you can even order the part from them as well.and send the old one back under warranty if not older then 3 months. tell them it was damaged and ddnt run. they will take it back.

Jon :

CLICK THE IMAGE ABOVE FOR THE PART INFO FOR THE MOTOR. you will also see that it has been updated. this will fix the whole problem.

Customer:

i clik on the image and it says its compatible.

Customer:

This product replaces:

• 34001269

• DC31-00049A

• DC31-00049A

Customer:

WTF.

Jon :

yes. compatable in sorts. but not the most up to date part. that is why it says it replaces.

Jon :

where were you searching for parts previously? i think they have given you the wrong info. And whoever told you to get a samsung part for a whirlpool machine should not have told you that.

Customer:

but if it is the board thats the problem than my old motor which still works. it should work with old motor, right?

Customer:

google. app, apwagner.

Jon :

it was not the board that was solely the problem. when this problem occurs it is very hard to narrow down if it was the motor or board. Just impossible to check. You have to or is recommended to replace both since they are communicating together. unfortuantely

Jon :

but here is what i have found in the past. it is the motor that fails most of the time. especially if the tub only spins out at 1200 rpm

Jon :

if you still have old parts please try putting in old board with samsung motor and see if it works. you got a shot there.

Customer:

i'm goin to try it.

Customer:

now.

Jon :

but if it doesnt then i would just get the new motor and keep the updated board. there is a reason why they make these updates. to fix other problems too. so you want the most up to date parts in your machine. if it is worth it for you to do that is.

Jon :

k. please get back to me here if you have any troubles. or any other questions. I will be logged on for another few minutes. and then in and out after that. My three month old son is waking up and may have to feed him. but please get back to me here and tell me what has happened as you swapped out parts and i will help you more if you need it.

Jon :

if i dont get back to you right away please now that I am still here and will get back to you either later tonight or tomorrow.

Jon :

and if you feel that i have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. and if you have more follow up questions on this machine or just simply have more questions please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will continue helping you at no additional charge.

Customer:

i can run diagnostic on old board. with new board i CANNOT. can not put in service mode.

Jon :

that is not all that uncommon. But dont just rely on the service mode or test mode as a check for how fast the drum is spinning out. Like I said earlier their is a lot of miscommunication going on here with the board and motor and rps sensor.

Jon :

just do a few loads and see if they are getting spun out as dry as they once were. that is the real test. if they are then good. you will save a lot of money. If not, then i suggest replacing the board and motor both with the updated parts.

Customer:

no. its soaking wet.

Jon :

Please also make sure the washer is on a level, stable surface. And also make sure the load of clothes are balanced as best as can be. And never, NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER, put in a load of clothes that is more then 10-15 lbs. before it is wet. This washer, although says it is a commercial size or super capacity machine, will not be able to handle such a large load. And in time the motor and bearing will fail again. Giving you problems.

Jon :

did you let it spin out the complete time? and do you see it spinning quickly? is the washer draining fully?

Customer:

yes drains fully. i'm doing load as test.
i'll let you know if this work/fails.

Jon :

If the water doesnt completely drain out then there is left over water in the machine as it tries to spin clothes dry. it will not spin fast enough for the extra weight of wet clothes. and will only spin slower because of that. leaving clothes wet.

Jon :

I suggest cleaning out the filter trap of the drain then cleaning out the drain line and hose. then trying it again. but definitely make sure the washer is draining the water completely.

Jon :

yes. please do a load. not in a test cycle. run a normal cycle and let it finish completely uninterupted. then tell me if the clothes inside are wetter then normal. then we can check the drain pump and the way the machine is draining.

Jon :

I will be logging off for the night soon so please remember to rate me positively now. I will continue helping you in the am. and if you need me again, just simply come back here and ask your questiosn and i will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks and have a good night.

Customer:

thanks for your help.

Jon :

You are very welcome. Glad I could help you. Please feel free to get back to me here with any and all of you appliance questions and I will be happy to help you to the best of my ability.

Customer:

i'm returning my control board. i think its defective and order a new one.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Kevin,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Please let me know how you do after installing the parts.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon, just FYI... i took my drain pump out today and the drain impeller is broken.

order part is on the way. hopefully this is the fix.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If the drain pump was not draining fully then the tub would be heavier from wetter then normal clothing. And that could cause the washer not to spin fully. But that would normally register as a drain error different completely from the e3 error. But please change out the drain pump and see what happens.

Please let me know how you do. And with a little luck you can Fix this machine with out an expensive repair.