Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

Thermador PGR486GLZS: a gfi tripped cutting power to unit.

Customer Question

Thermador PGR486GLZS: a gfi tripped cutting power to unit. when turned back on I now have flashing blue lights: oven twice, heating twice. Main large Oven will not turn on but the small oven will although the small one now does not want to come up to temp. Previously the broiler unit on the main only fires on one side. The small oven broiler fired last night but would not stay lit.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 9 months ago.

Jon :

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Thermador service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

You have blown the thermal cut out for the oven. I am thinking whatever made your gfi trip, which this machine should be on its own dedicated non gfi outlet, or better yet hard wired into its own circuit and 40 amp fuse, had caused the thermal cutout fail. Which in turn would cause the ovens to not work correctly.

Jon :

I have to ask you a few questions here.

Jon :

First, Is this machine plugged into a gfi outlet? I really hope not. That would be extremely unsafe.

Jon :

Second, does the cooktop portion of the range work?

Jon :

Lastly, how old is this unit?

Jon :

I can help you make the repair on the unit if it is repairable. Which i can help you diagnose the problems and go from there.

Jon :

If the thermal cut out is the issue you can fix this oven rather cheaply. under $100.

Jon :

If it is the main board you are looking at about $400.

Jon :

but get back to me here and I will tell you a few things to do so we can see what is happing.

Customer:

The unit is not plugged into a gfi.This is a gas oven/stove. I was running another appliance when this happened. cooktop works including the low simmer burners. The unit has been in service since Dec 2006.

Jon :

hello again.

Jon :

Ok. I didnt think it was on a gfi. Just wanted to make sure.

Jon :

But if you had tripped a gfi, what would that have to do with the machine not working now? Nothing. This machine should be completely separate from other kitchen appliances. So it just sounds as if this was just a coincidence that the gfi tripped and now the range will not work. At least the oven portion.

Jon :

And when you say " the unit has been in service since 2006" does that mean you got it new in 2006? or you have been using it since 2006 and it was purchased before that?

Jon :

The two flashing heat and oven lights just signify that the computer has not communicated with the rest of the oven. This could mean that if you havent already reset the power to the oven by flipping off the circuit to it for ten minutes then back on again it could be the board has failed.

Jon :

So please first try, if you havent done so already, flipping the breaker off to the range for ten minutes then flip it back on. If this doesnt help you will need to change the main board in the back of the unit. And I would also recommend changing the thermal cut out as well since you are back there.

Customer:

purchased in June 2006 new. installed Dec 2006. Yes I turned it off and on but for longer than 10 min. Should I do it for only 10 min?if that makes a difference?

Jon :

Well the main board is much cheaper then it used to be. It is only about $200. And is part number 709786. and the thermal cut out is part number 487206 and is only about $70.

Jon :

so it looks like you may get off not too badly here. For under $300 after shipping you can fix this machine yourself. If you are handy and have an extra hand you can pull the range out to access the back of the machine and make the repair yourself. This will save you hundreds.

Customer:

Thats sort of a relief i guess. Now can it be done by me? getting to the back is a challenge since this is a very heavy unit.

Jon :

just remove the oven from the wall and cabinets and remove the two back access panels by removing all the screws. then with the panels off you will see the board and the fuse you need to replace. then just swap them out with the new ones and put everything back together. just make sure to turn the power off before doing anything on the machine. it is just that easy for this one.

Jon :

your unit is on wheels. at least it should be if no one removed them. just have to lower the wheels and raise the legs.

Jon :

in the front of the range near the bottom of the unit is a panel or kick plate. pull that off and you will notice the legs and wheels. just turn the screws to lower the wheels and raise the legs.

Jon :

this will make it much easier to move. but dont worry, if you cant get the wheels down, which happens sometimes, with an extra set of hands you should be able to pull the unit out.

Jon :

just be very careful not to hurt yourself or the flooring.

Jon :

I have done it by myself several times. it can be done.

Customer:

ya no wheels, think they were taken off or may not have come with. wood flooring in front.yea

Customer:

where is a good place to order parts??

Jon :

to order parts for your range please go to www.applianceassociatesli.com and go to the parts link and enter the part numbers i just gave you. Then order them and they will ship the parts directly to you. If you cant manage navigating the website, which is not very hard to do at all, just call them at 1-877-821-4170 and a rep will help you. Again just tell them the model and serial numbers of the machine you have then tell them the part numbers you need and they will again send it out to you.

Jon :

The website and phone number I gave you above are to an appliance parts distributor that is the largest in the US and is very reliable. And will also offer a full year warranty on parts if you have to return them for any reason. Which you will not need to but just incase they will take it back no questions asked. the phone number i gave you is number given to me under my own personal account and will assure you get the best possible price for factory original part. With the warranty.

Jon :

I will say the website is much faster though so try that first. Again just go the website and click on the parts link. Then enter the part number into the part number search and order the part. Its just that easy.

Jon :

If you have any troubles or have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively now below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you need to come back to me here for any other follow up questions please do. And know that any other questions can be answered at no additional charge.

Customer:

will I get the best price also thru the website?

Jon :

Thanks. And please let me know how you do.

Customer:

Thanks Jon for your help and insight into my problem

Jon :

Your are very welcome. I am glad I could help you. Again please remember to rate my performance positively now. And if you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Have a good night.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 9 months ago.
Brian,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Just order the part from the website and get back to me here if you have any troubles. Also, when pulling the machine out from the wall, if there are no wheels on your machine then I would advise putting a thin piece of wood in front of your machine so the range doesn't scratch the floor. Otherwise get some furniture pads and put them under the legs.

If you need any other help or have any other questions please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.