Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kitchen Aid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Model #KSCS251 has

My Kitchen Aid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Model #KSCS251 has stopped producing ice. In the freezer section I turned it off. There is a red light presently flashing. How do I get the ice maker to start working again? Thanks. Darryl
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you check a few things for me really quick please? If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is ice in the icemaker mold.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

OK, so that is really only one of the 3 questions I asked you. Can you answer them all please? Also, the icemaker is turned back on right now correct? If not, please turn it on before you check these other items.

Quote:

If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The red light is flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over. When I shut the flap on the left side, the light did NOT turn solid. The white fingers are above the horizon pointing forward.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the fact that the light won't turn solid means that your refrigerator always thinks that the bucket is full of ice when it's not. You'll need to order and replace the emitter boards behind those covers to fix this issue. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order for your model as well as a video that shows you how to replace them.

CLICK HERE for part

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.