Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

why does my ge refrigertor freezes food off and on its a

why does my ge refrigertor freezes food off and on
it's a 1987 model tfx27ehe side by side
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Does the compressor run all the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Ok can you give me a moment to look up the model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Ok the problem here is the damper, this is the small door that is located inside the vent in the fridge that allows cold air to run from the freezer to the fridge, when in the open position it allows more cold air in and when closed allows less. The problem here is the door has either some ice blocking it open or the damper has failed.

You will need to access the air venting in the fridge, locate the damper and check , clear any ice blocking it, if nothing is found replace the damper.

I would like to earn your highest rating Terry, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.