Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

ge refrigerator "profile" side-by-side, freezer set to 0, cools

ge refrigerator "profile" side-by-side, freezer set to 0, cools to 0. refrigerator side set to 37 cools to 45, when set to 34 cools to 42 - set temp & actual temp drop 3 degrees.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door, look behind the shelfs on the lower panel, do you see any frost?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no ice or frost

Ok can you open the freezer door again only this time see if you can feel air circulating and let me know if you hear a fan running inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, feel air & hear fan, remember freezer is now cooling to lowered setpoint

Ok Steve can you give me a minute to look up the model number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, do you need serial #?

No, do you see any frost on the rear panel inside the fridge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no frost, ice or moisture

Ok Steve, if there is a variance in temp then it will be a problem with the sensor, This is hidden behind one of the vents/grills inside the fridge.

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i replaced both WR55x10025 ( 1 in fresh food side & 1 in freezer atop coils). when i did, i noticed that the coils in the refrigerator side WERE frozen up, you couldn't see until a panel was removed. does that change the diagnosis?

Yes, That is why I asked you if you had seen any frost on my first response :)

Ok the defrost system has failed, thaw the frost on the coils, below the coils you will see the defrost heater, disconnect this and test it with a ohm meter, if it reads open the defrost heater would need to be replaced, If the heater is good make sure the frost is thawed then button the unit up since you have already replaced the defrost sensor :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Steve,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noticed the ice in the fresh food side as I was replacing the sensor. Refrig is now running & appears ice buildup MAY be getting smaller. I'll let it run overnight & check in the morning. If there is still ice i will check heater. There does not appear to be a heater under the evaporator (fresh food coil). it is the evaporator that is iced over, the heater & bracket are on the condenser. Are you referring to this heater on the bottom side of the condenser ( freezer side coils)? I have replaced the fresh food sensor(under the grill) in the fresh food side & the fresh food sensor in the freezer side (above the condenser coils). there is also a defrost thermostat, in the freezer side above the condenser coils (part # XXXXX). I'm unsure how the evaporator is defrosted by the heater under the condenser & which sensor controls it.

Ok there wont be a heater under the coils in the fridge, The sensor in the fridge should have done the trick.