Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

The icemaker in our Hotpoint refrigerator has stopped working.

The icemaker in our Hotpoint refrigerator has stopped working. The switch is in the on position. Is there anything I can do myself before calling for the repairman?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you reach up and feel inside the mold where the ice is made, need to know if you feel ice or if the mold is empty.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

There does not appear to be any ice in the mold. I assume that is the thing with fingers in the back of the compartment.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for that David, That is correct.

Ok the problem here is going to be one of two, either the valve has failed or there is a blockage in the water line running from the valve to the ice maker.

The way to determine which is to pull the unit out from the wall, Remove the lower panel in the rear. Once off you will see the valve, Next trace the water line from the ice maker to the inlet valve, remove the water line from the inlet valve. Blow into the water line.

If you can blow air into the water line then the valve is bad and will need to be replaced.

If you cant blow air into the line then there is a blockage in the line, you would need to trace the blockage and thaw it with a hair dryer (normally in the fill tube running from the rear of the fridge to the ice maker)

Click here to order the valve if needed

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, Mike. I think I understand your instructions (sorry for the delay I had to go and look), and it sound doable for me.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
It's fairly easy, just need to take the panel off in the rear to access the valve.

Your welcome David :)

Thanks!

Mike.