Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

(ONLY Appliance Doc) Hey Appliance Doc, someone called with

(ONLY Appliance Doc) Hey Appliance Doc, someone called with a microwave that won't open. The door is locked in place. Ever had that before? I don't know if I can get a model number or not, but would you get involved with that?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

That definitely happens quite often. The only way to unlock the door would be to un-install the microwave, remove all the screws around the outer shell of the microwave, and pull the outer shell of the microwave off. That will give you access through the side of the microwave to manually push up the plastic door hook so that you can open the door. You will want to try and determine why the door won't open on it's own, but it should be fairly obvious once you're looking at it through the side of the microwave trying to open the door. Usually one of the plastic levers that pushes on the latch will break and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This sounds like a part, that, once I get the unit's model number, I'm probably going to have to order and not just go down to the local parts place, correct?

That is usually the case.