Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

My icemaker stopped making ice altogether. the "test" motor

Customer Question

My icemaker stopped making ice altogether. the "test" motor function works and will release whatever ice is in tray, but otherwise it does not work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 9 months ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an authorized Samsung service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

When you hit the test button on the ice maker, after it dumps the ice does it fill with new water into the mold of the ice maker?

Jon :

If not, The please check the ice maker fill tube either behind the ice maker or above it. depending on what model ice maker you have in your machine. Most fill tubes for this ice mkaer are actually above the ice maker. and you will have to remove the front cover of the ice maker to expose the two screws holding the top front of the ice maker in place then slide it towards the front of the ref and slide out. Then disconnect the wires to the ice maker and feel and look at the fill tube that will come through the top cabinet.

Jon :

if that fill tube is stuck with or clogged with a build up of ice that will prevent any new water from getting into the ice maker. Which would obviously prevent it from making any new ice.

Jon :

if the fill tube is clogged with ice, try your best to flush it out with hot water.

Jon :

if not clogged or blocked in any way then we will need to check the voltage to the water valve in the back of the machine, and for this you will need a voltage meter. and you will need to have some one hit the test button again on the ice maker while you are in back of the machine with access to the water valve behind the lower access panel of the ref. You will need to remove the wires from the ice maker solenoid, the solenoid directly above the water line that is smaller in diameter is the solenoid for the water. and remove the wired connectors to the solenoid and put the leads from your meter to the wires and see if you have 120 volts from the ice maker when it is calling for water in a test cycle.

Jon :

now wait about 2-3 minutes as it calls for water. if you dont ever get voltage the ice maker is bad. if you do, and you reconnect the water valve solenoid wires, and still no water to the ice maker then you have a bad valve.

Jon :

Now I will also ask if you had recently changed the water filter before having the issue with the ice maker? if so, this alone could be the problem. it happens often actually. As you remove the water filter from the ref, air gets into the line and causes a blcokage in the line. it builds up pressure and cause the no fill issue.

Jon :

If you had recently replaced the filter just simply remove the filter again wait a minute or so and put the filter back in. Now after putting the filter back in make sure that you bleed the air out of the lines by getting about 40-60 ounces of water from the door. this will releive the pressure and take the air out of the line. you should be good after that.

Jon :

if the ice maker still doesnt call for water then replace the ice mkaer or water valve after checking the parts i told you to check.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. please allow me two minutes to get the parts info for the ice maker and water valve for your model ref. Be right back.

Jon :

The part number for the complete ice maker is DA97-07603B. And should cost about $100.

Jon :

The part number for the water valve is DA62-00914B. And should cost about $50.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the quick reply. Here's what I can tell you. The filter expired about a month ago. I'll be ordering 1 in short order. When I use the test button it spins, dumps ice, then returns and puts some water in tray (not much though) and then does nothing thereafter. I've manually kicked it off several times to get a bit of ice. Also I'm noticing a bit of icy droplets around the ice tray. I've replaced the ice maker motor assembly before because i broke some plastic piece, but otherwise it's been fine

Jon :

Parts can be ordered either by calling 1-877-821-4170 or going to www.applianceassociatesli.com and clicking on the parts link. then enter in the part number of the part you need in the part search bar and the part will populate. Then just order it.

Jon :

If you have any trouble ordering the parts or anything else please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

And please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better rating if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions. If you feel that I haven't please dont leave negative rating. Just get back to me here and tell me how else i can help you.

Jon :

and if you have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks.

Jon :

ok. thank you for the response.

Jon :

if the water valve has expired and hasnt been replaced yet and the old one is still in then the ice maker is not getting enough water in the mold to get new ice. that is the issue. just replace the filter and all should be good.

Jon :

if after replacing the filter the ice still doesnt make new ice then check the water valve like i explain and you will know if the ice maker is good or if the water valve needs to be replaced. but from what i can see here from what you explained already, it sounds like both the ice maker and water valve are good. especially since they call for water and the water is being sent to the ice maker. just not enough of it.

Jon :

if you have the filter bypass you can install that for now to check the flow of water to the ice maker. this will allow enough water to the ice maker for it to work.

Jon :

you can also order the filter through the website i gave you above.i'll get the part number for that now for you. but i see this often. and when you have a water filter that is expiring or is already bad that is the cause for the issue.

Jon :

the water filter part number is XXXXX And should cost about $50.

Jon :

Do you have any other questions for me now?

Jon :

are you still with me? are you still there?

Jon :

I see that you are still logged into the chat and that you haven't yet rated me positively. Is there something else I can help you with? If not, please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now so that I can get credit for helping you. And if you have more questions after rating me positvely please come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks.

Customer:

Thanks, Jon. I'll be ordering the the water filter this week and give that a try.

Customer:

Can I change my rating after it's fixed?

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 9 months ago.
Adam,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, you can always come back here after you replace the filter to change your rating of me if you want. And hopefully it is to give an excellent rating. JK.

I know the filter will work considering your complaints and symptoms. But if it should not please dont hesitate to get back to me here and let me know what has happened after it is installed and I will help you more for no additional charge. And please also remember to give the ice maker and ref about 24 hours after replacing the water filter to make the ice. And please, please dont forget to flush out the line with at least 40 ounces of water after replacing the water filter.

Thanks again. Talk to you soon.