Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

GEs Space Maker Microwave oven JVM1870SK03, when you use the

GE's Space Maker Microwave oven JVM1870SK03, when you use the microwave or turn on the vent exhaust fan, the fan goes off when turned off or when microwave operation is over, BUT the clicking noise keeps happening and the vent door keeps opening and closing. Can't figure out how to fix this.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The vent door is a very simple mechanical assembly, pictured below. If it flaps after the fan shuts down, there is an air pressure issue making it do that, perhaps a birds nest or other obstruction that is changing the dynamics of the air flow out of the exhaust if vented outside. If vented internally, you may have grease built up or other issue. Either scenario will require you pulling the microwave down for inspection. How is this unit vented, outside or recirculating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my microwave is recirculating. How do I pull out the vent assembly to clean. It is possible, that it has lot of grease etc. Is pulling down the entire microwave oven easy?

I believe cleaning it will go a long way in remedying the noise. To remove the oven from the wall, you will need to remove the top grille (number 109) and then you will see a couple bolts in the cabinet above the microwave that will need to come out. The top of the unit will lean forward at which time the entire thing will lift off the rear support plate (number 93). It will be heavy and awkward, so make sure you have help and be sure to protect the top of your range or move it in case it is dropped.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just went ahead while you were typing your answer and cleaned up all the deposit inside the vent door. Then I turned on the Vent Exhaust and then off. Still the vent door kept opening and closing and making the noise. Ultimately, it stopped when I pressed Vent Exhaust Boost on and then off couple of times. that is extremely annoying. That is what I have been doing for two years now.

Removing the microwave assembly is first very cumbersome and what purpose will it serve? I've already cleaned all the dirt inside the vent door.

Actually, if the microwave vent is set to recirculate, that vent door is not even used. You can remove it as it is meant to prevent things from getting into the house when the vent is not on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vent door is being used, because it opens up when the micro wave is being used. And it opens even when the vent exhaust is turned on.

I am not clear -- what you mean by "you can remove it."

You stated that the vent is set to recirculate, so there is no vent to the outside. The flapper door below is only used when the unit is set to vent outside.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Looks like you have not understood the question. When I turn on the Vent Fan, it turns on, the vent door opens and recirculation starts. When I turn off the Vent fan, the fan does stop but the vent door keeps opening and closing and making the noise. While we were communicating, I have seen the assembly inside the vent door that keeps clicking and making the noise. It stopped when I turned the Vent Fan boost on and then off couple of times.

If we are not on the same page, we need to talk by phone. My phone # XXXXX XXXXX

...Shailendra Palvia (Dr. Palvia)

The louver motor is turned on and off by a relay which is part of the Printed Circuit Board ( the smart board behind the touch panel. The CHEAPEST source i found for this part is from for $121.00 part # XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope you are 100% sure about this diagnosis and this solution. This is too costly a solution. I will rather live this problem and complain to GE.

Thank you.

...Shailendra Palvia

Yep, that's what most people would say. Never understood how a new microwave could be so cheap compared to the cost of the parts to fix them.
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.