Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have Kenmore stove model 790.94374700 serial number VF74259339 and

I have Kenmore stove model 790.94374700 serial number VF74259339
and tonight the 4 heater elements will not heat up and the stove will only heat to a medium temperaure. The warmer burner does heat. And "element on" light comes on when you switch on any of the burners. My wife says it made a noise a couple of days ago but kept working. Is there any easy solution to this. Stove is about 7 years old I think and gets a lot of use.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..that sounds like a power issue ..the lites will come on and you will get some heat off some elements ,the warming element runs on 120 volts so that will be ok ? have you checked the breaker ? make sure both legs of power are both on ?turn off and back on again ..do you also have a junction box near the range with breakers?

Randy 43 :

it reqs 220 to heat

Randy 43 :

it will run and lite up on 120volts

Customer:

i have checked the breaker and it is a straight run from the wire to the outlet under the stove. I have a voltage tester, so I will open breaker, unplug stove, close breaker and check voltage. OK? I am hesitant with the high voltage.

Randy 43 :

you should have 220 at the wall outlet

Customer:

I cycled the breaker with no luck. I will open the breaker and unplug and then close the breaker and check outlet with my voltage tester. It is straight run from the breaker box to the 220 outlet under the stove. Is the the next step?

Randy 43 :

yes that would be next step , if ok unplug and remove the rear panel of range and have a look at range terminal connection as well

Customer:

I have sent 2 replies but nothing seems to be going through, are you on line

Randy 43 :

yes im here ,you cant see my replies?

Randy 43 :

can you see these posts?

Customer:

I unplugged the unit and checked the outlet and I have 220v power at the outlet

Customer:

sorry I was not scrolling down on the comments, I will check the terminal connector now

Randy 43 :

ok, you will need to check the range terminal now ..if you can remove the rear panel

Customer:

where the 3 wires come in one is all black and melted.

Randy 43 :

that will do it . you are getting only half the voltage to the elements

Customer:

it is the one to the far right. I will need a new cord going into the oven and new terminal in the oven, is this hard to replace? I live close to repairclinic .com so they would hav ethe parts if you knwo the numbers

Randy 43 :

ok ,let me check

Randy 43 :

Terminal Block

RepairClinic Item # XXXXX

Terminal block kit for electric range and dryer cords

Manufacturer Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

More

$4.70

Quantity:

In Stock

Randy 43 :

power cord not on site parts , but they can easily match it up with the terminal block and model number

Randy 43 :

those have the round terminals

Customer:

thanks for your help, I have 7 kids to feed. :)