Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  15yrs experience

Hi I put a new walk in freezer into my restaurant 21 months

Hi I put a new walk in freezer into my restaurant 21 months ago. The freezer had a vinyl floor. Right from the start we had icing and snow problems. The door was adjusted once and different things were adjusted which improved the situation, not before the vinyl floor had lifted. The icing was very bad with the roof looking like stalactite's and ice on the floor. The ice also formed on top of cartons and it seemed that on defrost when the ice melted it dropped onto cartons etc. and refroze. we are about to fix the floor but we are worried that it will happen again as there still seems to be a lot of ice forming especially on the compressor end of the freezer. The technician has looked at it a couple of times but hasn't fixed the problem. I have photos of problem if needed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

The ice hanging from the unit, tells you that water is leaking from the defrosting of the unit. This can be a cracked drain pan, cooling coil not aligned over drain pan, or the drain pipe is plugged. You will have to defrost all the ice, check the drain pan with a flash light, make sure cooling coil has drain pan under all areas of it, and last spray water down drain pipe to make sure it is clear. If drain pan is crack, you will need a new pan, or seal the crack with caulk. For the frosting issue, normally that is ambient air entering the unit from a poor seal somewhere. Every seal has to be checked for this issue. If the frost is at the ceiling close to the cooling unit, then the problem can be a faulty fan delay relay, which would need to be checked by you local technician you are using. Respond back if needed. Please do not forget to give a great rating for answering your question....Thank you

Jason, Home Appliance Tech
Experience: 15yrs experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Jason. There is not so much frost now but ice. This is over most of the roof, worse at motor end and looks like frozen drips. Also at each corner of motor end, and along the wall, hanging from the insulated drain hose, covering a plastic electric box on front of unit.It is hard to explain without showing you photos. Do you have an email address I can send to. The door end is reasonably clear.

Barry

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It sounds to me that what I suggested should do the trick. I will opt out the question to see if another expert has any other ideas for you. If you find my information helpful, please give a great rating. If not, please do not rate, and wait for another suggestion....Thank you

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Jason is correct. The technician you called is not experienced with commercial freezers. The freezer fans and defrost are not wired correctly most likely.

After defrost is done, the fans should remain ******OFF**** for a few minutes until the water freezes on the coil. If that time delay is not in place, the coil will spit water out after defrost and cause all that icing you have reported.

The frost is caused by door gasket leaks, that has to be properly repaired... there should also be a heating element around the door to prevent icing at the door... icing at the door will keep the door from closing properly... that will make all these problems a lot worse.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and i will see if I can find you a 'commercial refrigeration man'....

You do not need an air conditioning repair man, or an appliance repair man... you need a commercial refrigeration man with experience to get the freezer control wiring done correctly.

Phil