Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have an amana sxd23vw side-by-side refrigerator that wont

I have an amana sxd23vw side-by-side refrigerator that won't get cold...

starting about 2 or 3 days ago, it started making a high-pitched whine/buzz for about 10-20 secs at a time, every 10 mins or so. it sounded almost exactly like the sound the ice maker makes when it's filling with water, but it wasn't that, as i turned off the ice maker and the sound remained. today, i noticed the temperature had dropped and everything was melting.

I've already toubleshot to some degree... I've cleaned all the vents, front/bottom and back. I've removed the panel in the freezer and see that the coils are not at all frozen. the fan inside the freezer immediately above the coils runs fine, as does the fan in the back/bottom next to the compressor.

the coils are barely cold to the touch when the freezer is plugged in and on. i don't think the compressor is running. I don't hear anything other than the fans running, but the compressor is hot to the touch.

Is it the compressor? anything else i can check?

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..that is a classic symptom of a faulty compressor unfortunately , you can pop the cover off the electricals on the compressor and make sure all the wires are intact and no visible signs of wires burnt off or melted? if ok then it is a compressor issue , compressor unable to start and cuts off on the overload , it does as you say keep trying every few minutes

Randy 43 :

no compressor run causes no cooling

Randy 43 :

if you have a amp meter you can check the amperage draw when it is buzzing anything over 10 amps indicates a seized rotor

Randy 43 :

this is the start device , check to make sure it isnt melted or burnt anywhere

Randy 43 :

Start Device - Part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNMfg Part # XXXXX
Full Size Image

Customer:

ok. lemme check that.

Customer:

if it is the compressor, i assume that's a costly repair.

Customer:

and assume it's not something i could do myself. (i would consider myself 'handy', but far from a pro). would it even be worth repairing?

Randy 43 :

yes it is im sorry to say , around $600-$700 it reqs specialized equipment to repair , freon and gauges ,charging cylinder ,torch..but if the relay/overload is melted it wont start either

Customer:

ok. i see that part. i'm going to check it right now.

Randy 43 :

check the underside of the relay , ive seen a few bubble and short out where you cant see it

Customer:

it all looks good visually

Randy 43 :

if it looks good ,its the compressor then , it is getting power because it is buzzing and trying to start , any kind of sealed system warranty left?

Randy 43 :

how old is the fridge

Customer:

nah, it's too old, i'm sure

Customer:

>8 yrs, i'd say

Customer:

yeah, it's buzzing and trying to start for sure.

Customer:

but if it's not running, why is it still hot to the touch?

Randy 43 :

i would double check just in case , sometimes they had compressors for 10 yrs and would be half the costs ,just in case

Customer:

hmm. ok. i will. i'm sure i have the receipt somewhere

Randy 43 :

it is trying to start ,it still gets power and is attempting to start

Customer:

hence the heat, eh?

Randy 43 :

it would be on the manual under warranty

Customer:

ok.

Randy 43 :

yes to the heat

Customer:

ok. well thank you for your help, though it wasn't the answer i was hoping for! :-)

Randy 43 :

sorry ..

Customer:

np

Randy 43 :

good luck with whatever way you choose

Customer:

thx