Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hello Have Viking Model VCSB420SS06 Fridge/Freezer Serial

Customer Question

Hello
Have Viking Model VCSB420SS06 Fridge/Freezer Serial GJ1100029

Need part numbers for following:
Refrigerator Door Gasket
Freezer Door Gasket
Defrost Timer
Defrost Terminator

I previously ordered gaskets from Sears but wrong ones came. Originals are held on by metal strip with screws going through metal and flap of the gasket. Ones received are set into a grooved U channel. Gave them shortened model number as their system would only recognize VCSB42 ( without the other suffix's)

Also would appreciate if you could provide parts supplier(s) that could be more helpful
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be glad to assist you in your answer. Think about safety when doing repairs, electric, water, gas, ect.

Please look at these sears diagrams. Is this the same as you unit, or is this the same as what you ordered? Please let me know....thanks

http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/part-model/Viking-range-corp-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-VCSB420/3047/0165000/10057142/00001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jason,

Yes these are the same diagrams used to order. Ordered Fridge gasket PB070293 and Freezer gasket PB070292. That is the numbers received, with notes that ...92 subs from PB9700175, and ....73 subs from PB970183/PR15008.

The diagrams appear to show same layout as my unit, but obviously are not for my exact model

As explained in my original questions submission these do not mount onto the door the same way as originals and cannot be installed.

Hope this is information you needed.

Thanks

Dave

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dave,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can help you today.

Do you still need help trying to get the updated part numbers for your ref? I can check for you to make sure you get the right door gasket and parts for your model machine. i will even call it in to be sure that they are the correct parts. I will not do so for you until you get back to me here and tell me that is something you want me to do.

I will even tell you a few places in which you can get the part from. Even give you my account info so you can get the part cheaper.

Please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

JON,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I got a notice of a reply the other day, but when opened there was no new information ie I did not get your response at that time. Only today when this follow up notice came in did I get your response.

Yes please do see if you can confirm right ones are available, and confirm a source for me. So much appreciate this follow up, was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen.

THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX confirmations

Dave

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dave,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It does seem that the website has been slower then normal in posting responses. I wonder if there were some issues the website had to iron out. I will look into it and perhaps send an email to the quality control and IT departments.

However, I do have the info you need. It is listed below.

Freezer door gasket part # pb070292 should cost about $100.
Ref. door gasket part # pb070293 should cost about $105.
Defrost Bi-metal (what you are calling a terminator) part # pr150026 should cost about $87
Circuit Board (no defrost control or timer in your model machine, it simply has a control board that regulates when the unit goes into a defrost and ref cycle) part # pr150005 should cost about $500.

Now if your freezer was icing over and not going into a defrost quick enough or at all and causing excessive ice build up, which is commonly called a defrost failure, the most likely cause and part to fail is the defrost bi-metal. That is the thermostat that sits on the evaporator coil that is supposed to accurately tell what temp the freezer coils are getting to. And once they get too cold it is supposed to send a signal to the control to tell it to stop the current ref cycle or cooling cycle and put the ref into a defrost cycle. Alot of the time the bi-metal gets water or frost inside and it causes the bi-metal to fail or not accurately judge the temp in the freezer.
If you have a multi meter with a simple continuity check you can check the bimetal to be sure it is good or bad. you would need to access the evaporator and strip or cut the wires to the bimetal with power off to the ref and check the wires of the bimetal. If there is continuity while the bimetal is satisfied, meaning that it is below freezing temp, then it is good. If no continuity then the bimetal is bad. But very important that the bimetal be cold when you check it. A non satisfied, or otherwise warm bimetal will always show that it is open or doesn't have continuity. So please either check the bimetal while it is on the evaporator coil being chilled or cut it out and dip it in some ice water for about ten minutes then check it.

I wouldn't change the circuit board unless you find the bimetal has continuity and is good. The circuit board would be the only other part on this machine that would cause the ref to skip or otherwise not go into a defrost cycle. Unless of course the freezer or ref door gaskets are torn that bad that they are letting int to much warm air. Causing the ref to constantly run giving you the excessive frost and ice. Which I guess may be the reason you also wanted the ref and freezer door gasket info. Unless they are just looking old and worn down and you would like to replace them with the correct parts.

Which leads me to remind you that the parts info I have listed above is the most current and updated part info for your model machine. The door gaskets are the same door gaskets that you have in your machine now. they have a lip that gets held down by the trim that goes around the door frame. Not the push in kind that just fit into the groove like you have previously received. And all of these parts were indeed checked by the authorized Viking parts department reps. Which they did also tell me that most of these parts are not currently in stock but are able to be ordered. Which just simple means that due to the age of the machine, their normal warehouses dont have any left and it needs to come from the main warehouse. Which usually takes about 5-10 business days to come in. Thats all.

You can either call Viking directly to order the parts or use www.allvikingparts.com and pay almost double the price or use the phone number and website below that I use regularly. The info below is to a company I have been using for years and is the single biggest appliance parts distributor in the country. They offer a better return and warranty policy then any other parts warehouse out there now. And best part about it is that they will give you the factory original and authorized oem part as would Viking. The get discounted prices because of the volume of business they do. You are essentially getting the parts at a wholesale and not a retail rate. You just need to make sure you either use the phone number below or log into their website through my portal to be sure you get the biggest discount as possible.

Parts warehouse info:

Long Island Appliance Associates/ Marcone Appliance Parts
Phone: 1-877-821-4170 ( can be on hold a little while, but when an operator answers just give them the part numbers above and they will give you the part info and send it out to you quickly)
If you dont want to wait on the phone, fi they are busy which happens often, then just log into the website at www.applianceassociatesli.com and go to the parts link at the top of the page. When the parts portal page opens just enter the part numbers into the part search box and the parts info will populate. Just order the parts from there to save time.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns with either ordering or installing the parts and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again for the positive rating. Please also get back to me and let me know how you make out with the repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon

WOW! Have never had such thorough and valuable information like you have just provided, from a face to face or on-line assistance group.

I have just one variation in that my unit does have an actual defrost timer located in front of housing at top of fridge , not board as suggested. The part number I have for it is pr120041. If you could confirm that then we are all set to finally get our fridge back after now 6 wks of trying.. Good bonus lined up for you. So much appreciate your detailed input.

Dave

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dave,

I try to give the best quality answer when responding to our customers. That is just the way it is supposed to be. If I am not giving you a detailed, well thought out and thorough answer, which includes an explanation for why I think your machine has failed and the parts info to fix it, then I would not be doing my job. And quite frankly, if the situation was reversed and it was I that needed the help, I would like to have as much detail and information as possible.

I actually love fixing appliances and I get enjoyment out of fixing them and helping people so it is my pleasure that I was able to help you.

As far as for the defrost control/ timer in your machine maybe I shouldn't have used the words board to describe the defrost control in your machine. Viking actually calls it a board/ control so I was just trying to relay that to you. We are actually speaking about the same part I assure you. And the part number you list above, PR120041 is actually the part number for the screws to that board/ control. The defrost control that you need is in fact the PR150005 part number I listed above.

But like I also said above, Please try to replace the board/ control last. Most often you dont need it and being that it is more then $500 it would be best to try the other parts first. And with any luck you will not need the control and save yourself more then $500.

I hope I have helped to answer your questions and provided you with the knowledge and parts information you need to get this beast back up and running properly. If you need to ask any other questions or have any other concerns please feel free to get back to me here and I will continue helping you. As always from here on out any other help from me will be at no cost to you. And as far as for the generous bonus, that would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know how you do with this repair.

Thank you again and have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon

Sorry, still hesitant re the defrost timer, don't want to spend $500 on wrong part ($750 by the time I have it in my hands). It turns out everything ordered from Sears came wrong so not trusting them, however on searspartsdirect.com and put in model vcsb420 go to upper unit diagram Item 24 shows pr110018 which seems visually to be our timer, and priced at around $130. ( in my earlier to you I had dropped a line and given part number for item 25, the screw that hold it in)

I thank you for all this effort on our behalf. Being located in Bermuda it is difficult in the extreme to get information, and when wrong becomes expensive with shipping and duty added. And returning is usually not feasible due to shipping costs.

Thanks

Dave

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dave,

First off let me say a big thank you for the bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

I can certainly understand your reservations. I to would like to know with absolute certainty that the parts I am going to order are the correct ones. Especially being in such a remote location. And might I add I am very jealous you get to live in Bermuda. I have grown up on an Island and have been close to the water all my life but let me tell you that the beaches of Long Island, New York have nothing on the beaches and beauty of Bermuda.

After calling the Viking techline personally today and double checking all available diagrams available to us and conferring with the viking reps, you are correct sir. There is a defrost timer in your machine. And it is located in the upper unit. And is part number PR110018 and should cost about $130.

I am sorry that I didnt pick that up in the beginning. I should have. These units will usually have some sort of defrost timer next to the compressor area in the upper unit. Except when the ref has a control or board in the ref and freezer cabinet like yours does. Since the diagrams I were looking at where printed off the authorized Viking website they were not in such great clarity or detail. And since the Sears website didnt list the full model number I didnt want to go off their parts diagram in case they were wrong.Well the viking website issues that prevented us from looking at the diagrams more clearly on line were fixed and we were able to see that in fact there is a timer in your machine.

Glad you picked up on that. And again, I apologize for not seeing it earlier.

Here is what you need again for your ref.

Defrost timer part # pr110018 should cost about $130.

You can order all these parts from www.applianceassociatesli.com or by calling 1-877-821-4170. Sometimes the phone number can become busy and you may stay on hold a while. So if after calling you are placed on hold for any longer then 5 mins just go on line to the website above and click on the parts header and you will be redirected to the parts page of the website. Then just click on the online parts link in blue towards the bottom of the page just above the scrolling list of manufactures. After clicking on the parts link you will be redirected to the parts hotline shop. And there just type in the parts numbers in the part search box and you will be able to order the parts right there. It usually ends up being quicker and cheaper then going anywhere else. And I am almost certain that if you order totals more then $250, which it will if you order all the parts, the shipping will be free. Even to Bermuda.

Please also remember that you will have the ability to return the parts ordered if you should have any issues with them. Which you should not but just so you have for peace of mind the parts can be returned for full credit.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge. Please let me know how you do.

Thanks again for the very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.