Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

how experienced are you with Sub Zero

how experienced are you with Sub Zero
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today.im pretty experienced ,what is your question ? ill see if i can help

Customer:

Thanks Randy. Dont know if you can see my past questions. but i have a Sub Zero 650. The service light keeps coming on.....much more in the summer. Im pretty tech savvy. I clean the condenser regularly, but now i am getting some frost buildup only in the refrigerator compartment in the lower left hand corner just above the veg drawer. Not in the freezer at all and the temp is consistant. Thoughts? PS The way the previous owner built the house the back of the fridge butts up against an outer wall and the sunn shines hard on that wall and its been pretty hot. Not sure that has anything to do with it, but thought id mention

Customer:

PS my name is Beau

Customer:

Temp in fridge 38....freezer 0

Randy 43 :

Ok , that sounds like a evaporator leak in the fridge evaporator ,it has all the symptoms , in behind the rear panel of that fridge section is a coil ,that frosts up ,Sub zero had a issue with those coils , they make them out of a different material now,if you remove that rear panel im sure you will find a partially frosted coil(freon leak) ,that will also bring up the service lite , because the fridge section is running longer to maintain the same temps ,the board picks up on that and brings up the service lite ..it does however req specialized refrigeration equipment to repair that coil , a new one needs to be welded in and the system recharged with new freon ..subzero did have a 12 yr warranty on parts ,and 5yrs on parts and labour of the sealed system

Randy 43 :

have you had that apart at all?

Customer:

no, i haven taken it apart. this is the first time that theres been frost in that one spot

Randy 43 :

that happens because there isnt enough freon to go all the way thru the coil and just accumulates in that one spot on the coil and starts showing on the rear panel

Customer:

So it sounds like i should get a service call set up right? I mean theres not a chance its anything else and we are within the 12 year period. How long a repair is it time wise?

Randy 43 :

I do them in about a hour ,hour and a half ..if its within that period the parts will be covered yes..

Randy 43 :

it really cant be anything else if you have the service lite and a ice ball

Customer:

last question, if you mentioned that they had a problem with these coils, should i hit them up for labor as well. I mean was it considered a "defect". These things are too expensive. And when I call them I should just say Im prettyr sure I have an evaporator leak right?

Randy 43 :

dont let them talk you into a compressor or any other parts ,ive done dozens of them with no problems just replacing the evaporator

Customer:

no, this is a really good company, they are the biggest SubZero distributor out here and theyre service is straight up?

Randy 43 :

yes, give them a try and say you heard they make them out of a different material , their customer service is pretty good ,they know they cost a fortune and sometimes cover the whole repair,depends who you get on the other end

Customer:

Thanks Randy, youve been great. Appreicate the help.

Randy 43 :

no problem, good luck

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert