The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My Sub Zero TC 736 fridge door is very difficult to open.

My Sub Zero TC 736 fridge door is very difficult to open. The door must be opened using both hands , I am concerned that i will pull the handle off. After that it will be easy to open for about 5 minutes then it is hard to open again. Any suggestion are appreciated . Thank you .

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Does it feel like there is a vacuum being applied to the unit causing it to be hard to open?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Smitty Yes it does feel as though it is a vacuum seal. The door is in good condition and swings fine.The fridge is only 3 years old.

Okay. What you need to do is locate the condensate drain line. it is located under the evaporator coils towards the back of the freezer compartment. The drain line is what the unit uses to vent air into and out of the enclosure. If it gets plugged you get what you have now. More than likely it is a piece of plastic wrap or something similar. At least that is what I have found the most of.

There may be a cover that you need to remove to access the drain line. Just a few screws and it comes off.

Once the drain line is clear the door will open normally.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**