Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I am trying to replace the bearings on my LG WM2010CW front

I am trying to replace the bearings on my LG WM2010CW front loading washing machine. I purchased the two replacement bearings and seal. Saturday I disassembled the unit. But I am having trouble getting the basket to come out of the rear tub assembly. The spindle will no completely go through the bearings to come out. It has cleared the outer bearing, sitting about 1/8" below it. But it will not go any further. It is almost like something is in there blocking it or holding it from coming any further, but I cannot figure out what it could be.
Is there a trick to get the basket spindle to come out of the bearings in the rear tub assembly?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today

repairguy :

NO you are not missing anything, except that as a tech we will order the rear of the tub and the inner spin basket at the same time to save us from this problem

repairguy :

I know as a DIY'er just getting the bearing is cheaper,

repairguy :

It is going to just take some brute force and time. Try WD40 or any other type of oil you may have

repairguy :

Twist the spin basket back and forth that will help loosen what is holding it.

Customer:

I have tried WD40 and 3-in-1 oil. I had my son wobble and rotate the basket as I was pounding on it.

repairguy :

Once you get it out make sure you clean it good, it wouldnt hurt to use some high grit sand paper on it when it is out

repairguy :

I understand, I think it will just take some time. Can you push it back to original position

Customer:

Do I need to use a hydraulic press to get it out?

repairguy :

NO

repairguy :

Als be careful not to damage the shaft or you will have to buy a new one

Customer:

I haven't tried pushing it clear back to original, but it has dropped to where the end of the spindle is sticking out about 1/8". So it can move at least a couple inches.

repairguy :

Just keep up the WD40 and push it in and then back out and it will eventually let go for you

Customer:

What is holding it?

repairguy :

It may have scored or rusted when the bearing washed out

repairguy :

I promise if you keep working it, it will come out

repairguy :

I carry a few sections or 2x4 in my work van and set up so outer tub is being held by the wood and the inner basket is hanging free

repairguy :

Then lift up and down, so that gravity helps

repairguy :

I have to change locations it will take me about 20 to 30 minutes til i get internet again.

repairguy :

Try and see if it will come free and I will check back in with you as soon as i get service

repairguy :

Real quick you may try to remove the outer bearing you say you have passed, that will at least get one out of the way

Customer:

but aren't those bearings removed best by tapping from the inside with a cold chisel?

repairguy :

Sorry for the delay, have you had any luck

repairguy :

The computer is showing you are still online, but i havent heard anything. Were you able to remove the spin basket?

Customer:

Not yet. I am still at my real job. Will be leaving to go home soon. Then I can try again.

repairguy :

No problem just keep me in the loop

Customer:

No luck. Still will not come out.

repairguy :

There are no other tricks, I think you are seeing why I always order the rear section of the outer tub and the spin basket for this repair. You might try like a wooden dowel that will fit the size of the spindle, that way you can try a hammer, you just dont want to hit that spindle directly

Customer:

The dowel was the trick. I was not making any more progress without it. Thanks Rick.

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.