Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

How do I manually turn off the LED lights on the GE Profile

How do I manually turn off the LED lights on the GE Profile fridge (pfsf6pkw)? Every other fridge that I've ever seen has some sort of 'switch' or trigger than can be taped down in order to keep the light off on opening the door, but can't for the life of me figure this out, except for manually opening up the light and unplugging the connection....

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you tonight

repairguy :

Just so I understand before i answer you, you do not want any lights when you open the door

Customer:

I want the ability to turn off the lights from time to time without having to manually open up the casing and unplug the LED connection...I'm trying to determine what actually triggers the lights on and off when the door is closed...

repairguy :

When you open the doors, up on top of the cabinet should be a plastic piece, inside that piece there is at least one possibly two reed switches, that act like the door switch. They are operated by magnets in the door,

repairguy :

The only way would be to remove the cover expose the reed switches and use a small magnet to trip the switch

Customer:

Can you clarify where that piece is?

repairguy :

look at this link, it will show you exactly what i am talking about

Customer:

If I bought a small, tiny magnet and placed it over that area... would that work? Or would it prevent the doors from closing tight enough

repairguy :

they look nothing like a switch, but work just like them, if could get a thin one you might be ok, but too thick and yes the door would not close properly

Customer:

Interesting. If it felt like the door was closing properly (with a potential thin magnetic strip on those areas), is there any reason to assume its not?

repairguy :

no and if it is holding to far out i think you will see moisture on the magnet

Customer:

Got it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the help

repairguy :

anytime