Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have GE frig side by side GSH25KGMBWW giving me defrost problems.

I have GE frig side by side GSH25KGMBWW giving me defrost problems. Checked the continuity of the heater and it check OK. I replaced the thermostat, still the same, in a couple weeks or so back frosted up. I even got another mother board and changed again with the same results. I've read up on how to check the thermostat by putting in cup of ice and check continuity. (I get continuity whether I check it at room temp or below freezing)? The one thing is that when I open the frig door the interior light flickers? IDK if that means something. I have two new thermisters and one more new thermostat (by the way) it does the same at room temp or freezing. Is there any way to make the heater workby jumping across the thermostat? There are a total of four thermisters, two in the freezer dept and one in the fresh fruit and the other I'm not sure the exact location.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The defrost thermostat is a backup to the defrost thermistor. If the defrost thermostat and heater are showing continuity then the defrost thermistor is bad. I have it arrowed in the image linked below. If you will click the link you can download the image.

The thermistor is attached to the top of the coils behind the lower rear inside freezer wall. Its a splice in part. Get 2 wire nuts and splice it right there at the coils. Once you are done with the splice fill the wire nuts with NON conductive rtv sealant and that will take care of it.

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ive installed the temp sensor. Is there any way to get it to go into defrost cycle? I dont want to have to wait until it frost back up to know.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You can jump across the main terminal on the circuit board, that is the only way. I do not like instructing how to do that because you are jumping 120 volts across the main terminal and I just do not feel like it is a very safe thing to do. GE did not build the programming for a manual defrost into the board Mark. I will however instruct you how to do that if you request it. It should go into an automatic defrost in about 2 or 3 more hours.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I jump the terminals? Use which connectors J7 J9. across which pins?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Find the large 3 prong connector and jump "line" to "defrost" Or defr. depending on how your board is labled. The freezer must be below 20 degrees.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are going to have to be more specific than that; which connector they are labeled etc J7 J9 J1 and which pin the the connector; on the main board. I've got the thermometer in the freezer in the dept and its 10 degrees now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Barry was trying to tell you to jump the line and the defrost on the main connector. heres a picture. graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would i need to jump across while it is connected? leave the jumper connected and then plug the frig then check the heater?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I would put the jumper on while its unplugged then plug it in because this is live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im going to wait to see if itll go into defrost mode on its own. Patience is what I need. Thank you for your assistance. I hope this has fixed my problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I was just helping Barry out, he couldn't send the picture for some reason.have a good day. no need to reply, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it seems to be working ok now, ive not been at home but for a few hours since I instaled the temp sensor. Thanks Mark

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great ! I'm glad to help. thanks and have a great day , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.