Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a bosch dishwasher displaying Error code E24

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Have you made sure that water drains into a bucket very good when the hose is disconnected from the drain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I have not but I can clearly hear that it is pumping out well.

Since the E24 is a pump out code the pressure switch is seeing that the water is not pumping out all the way. Are you certain the water all pumps out very fast? Even though you hear it that does not mean the unit is pumping out at the correct volume. You just have to make sure as the code is a pump out code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the water seems to pump out relatively quickly so I do not think that is the issue

Does the drain line go to a syphon(air) gap on the sink or does it just go directly to the drain trap?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It goes to the drain trap.

Ok when the code comes up is it full of water and are you sure it is an E24 code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No there is no water in the bottom of the dishwasher and it is definitely an E24 code as that is what is on the display and the check water light has come on.

OK you may have a bad drain pump or an issue with the wiring to the drain pump. If the board detects an error with the drain pump it will throw that code. Remove the lower panel and check under the unit in the basin for signs of water. You may have a leak causing the water not to enter or the issue with the drian pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check the drain pump but from what I have read about these dishwashers that may not be the problem.

The only other thing that can cause that issue is a bad turbidity sensor. That also could cause you that issue. Not the most common thing, but something to also consider.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no removable lower panel on this unit

There is a bottom panel that you can take off and then there is a basin under the unit. This is the same on all the bosch units and your model too.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today.

Just so I understand what is happening here, on your dishwasher you are getting the e24 fault in the display and The check water light is lit and the dishwasher doesn't complete a cycle. And it is completely draining but not filling with any new water, correct?

First, the e24 is a very popular error code or fault for this model machine and for Bosch dishwashers in general. It is for a communication error between the drain motor and the main control. The control is sensing that the drain motor is either not fully draining the water or not operating at all. So if you are saying that when you get the error in the display and you open the door to check , the water is completely drained then the drain pump is likely not the cause for the fault.

The computer or main board in this machine has been known to give a false error. Throwing an error or fault code when the machine is running fine. And all you need to do is power off the machine at the circuit breaker or mains in your home for ten minutes to reset the board.

So if you haven't done that yet I would advise doing that first.

If there is still water in your dishwasher after it has shown the error code then we will need to check the drain motor and hoses for clogs and for voltage. So if you have a meter and some tools we are going to need them.

Now for the water light coming on that is an easy one. If the error comes on when the dishwasher is supposed to be filling and there is no new water coming in and the drain motor is not consistently running then you will first need to make sure that the water supply to the dishwasher is on and is on all the way. if it is then we need to check the water fill hoses screens and the water valve screens for cloggs. there are screens in both the water fill hoses or supply line to the dishwasher and the water valve that will prevent any sediment from getting into the water valve then into the machine. But if there is a lot of sediment it can clog the flow of water into the machine completely. Which would give you the error code.

So first thing you need to do is check that the water supply is on fully. If it is then pull the machine out and check the water supply hose to the water valve and the water valve screens for clogs.

if all of that is good and you cant still find the reason for the failure then I would tell you that you had a shorted control board. And to verify you would need to check power to the drain motor during a drain cycle. and if you have voltage then you are good with knowing the drain motor is good. Next check the water valve solenoid in the same way for voltage. if you have voltage to the water valve but yet the water doesnt come into the machine and the screens are good and clear then you know you have a bad valve.

But if there is no voltage to either part when it is supposed to be on then the control board is bad an needs to be replaced.

Please check that and get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If there was water in the bottom drain pan then the drain motor would be constantly running? That would mean the flood switch was activated because it thought the dishwasher was leaking or flooding out. And would in turn activate the drain motor until the water was gone.

I didnt think you had said the machine was constantly draining, is it?

If it is then yes, check the drain pan. If not, then dont bother. Just check what I mention above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is draining fine. I think initially the reset of the board may have helped. It is now running through a 15 pre rinse cycle. This dishwasher has been an issue over the last few weeks. I am suspecting something to do with the filling of it. Where is the water valve screen? I have checked the one at the tap and have cleaned that.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok great about the reset. That usually works.

If the water is not filling up completely or at all due to clogged screens at the water valve to check you would need to remove the dishwasher from the cabinets and access the bottom of the dishwasher. There is an access valve under the dishwasher in which you will need to remove some screws on it to take it off. With that off you will see exactly where the water valve is. Just make sure the water is off at the supply line before removing the water vlave.

After water is shut off remove the screws to the valve and remove the valve. Then remove the supply line to the valve and check there for any clogs in the screens. But please don't remove the screens. It will be nearly impossible to get back in place correctly.

If there is any cold just flush it out with warm water until the clog is gone. Then put it all back together again and check make sure it is filling correctly and with enough water.

If it is then you should be good to go. If not or if after cleaning the screens it still doesn't fill at all or not enough, then we need to check to make sure that you have full voltage to the water valve.

If you have full voltage then replace the water valve. If not voltage then replace the controller or what is known as the main board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has come up with the code again. I have removed the side cover to see where the water inlet goes. This unit has some wiring and some sort of valve with the hose connector. Is that the inlet valve because I can't really pick it wit the side removed.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes. On some models the water valve is on the side.

But you will know it is the water valve because it is the only valve that has the other end of the water supply line going to it.

Just back track the water supply from your house to the machine and you will find it.

Get back to me here if you can't find it and I will look it up for you.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.
Check the water valve screen and the other end of the supply line too. I there is a good clog clean it out. If not, I would change the water valve.

Should you have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.