Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Hi, I have a Neptune FAV9800AWW Washing Machine. It will

Customer Question

I have a Neptune FAV9800AWW Washing Machine. It will start a cycle, but after filling with water it seems to keep trying to spin or something for about 8 seconds and then it stops. Then about 45 seconds later it does this again over and over again. I checked the service mode and there are no diagnostic codes but during the time it tries to spin the screen says the RPM's go to 48. In system check... it says Lid locked, Lid closed, No unbalance, Low fill FULL, Medium fill FULL, and High Fill empty. Any ideas of what it could be or any other diagnostic I could run?
Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Is there water in the tub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and I've tried activating both the hot and cold in service mode and I hear the water filling so I don't think it is the valves. Service mode also says that the low and medium levels are full, but the high is not.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does this problem seem to show up at the drain cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure- the picture on the display seems to be indicating draining... The picture shows the water level getting lower. If I enter service mode, I can manually activate the drain and it does drain the water, so I think that works too.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Drain pump does not kick in until it hits 45 rpm, so if the unit is not removing the water then there is your problem..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it is going to 48rpm... Is that when the drain valve kicks in? I just tried the service mode manual drain again and it seems like it is working great...

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is when it kicks in...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK well the drain definitely works in manual (service) mode. The water drains pretty quickly.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you run a service cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is doing the same weird cycling when the Service Cycle gets to "Draining at 90rpm. I bet if I stopped it and hit the drain manually, that would probably work... (should I try this?) Seems like maybe some other indicator is stopping it from even trying to activate the drain. If I press system check, the rpm goes to 48 but drain output is not even trying to go on. I don't see anything on the inputs (like unbalance) that might be wrong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Do You still need help with your washer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I hadn't heard from Chas in almost an hour so I figured he was busy. Do you have all the messages so far?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do. Thank you.

So it sounds like the ever so common motor control board on the washer. The control board will control the speed at which the motor rotates. In both a wash or agitation cycle and a spin cycle. If the motor can't communicate with the control or if there is an error with in the motor control board, the motor will to spin the drum at the correct speed. And this only occurs at time the washer is in cycle. And will run fine when in diagnostic check mode. Which is why when you check it in a diagnostic mode it checks fine.

Basically if the machine drains fine, which it sounds like it is, and the washer will still start then rotate the drum a few rotations then stop and repeat this until it stops completely you will need to replace the motor control. In fact, if the motor control and motor haven't not been replaced or updated within the last five years then you don't have the most up to date motor and controller in your machine. And that would definitely be why you are getting the error now.

Give me a minute to check on the price of the board and motor and sensor for you. But if I remember correctly the parts are way expensive. So if this machine is not under warranty and is over 7 years old it would not make much sense to repair it. The cost of the parts alone would be more then $385. And for not much more you could get a newer more energy efficient washer for about $50 more.

I see this problem a lot these days. And more so with the Neptune model washers from maytag. It is quite common unfortunately. Sorry for the bad news here though.

If you feel that I have helped to answer our questions please remember to rate my performance positively below with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions after rating me please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

But if you feel that I don't deserve a positive rating yet please don't rate negatively yet. Just get back to me here and tell me how I can help you more.

Thanks. And I will get back to you in a few minutes with parts info so you can make your decision on whether it is worth it or not to fix your machine.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK one last question.... I've opened the top and tried the spin test again. The agitators do spin but not the drum, the rpms come up to 48. Is the drum supposed to spin? is there a clutch between the agitators and the drum?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Yes and yes.

The drum is supposed to spin along with the agitator in an agitation cycle. But in a spin cycle just the drum spins. If the drum or tranny is locked up that may be because the motor is not functioning correctly.

If with the machine off and the drum doesn't rotate by hand by opening the door and rotating the drum, then the tranny is bad. And bearings are shot. And a tranny, and clutch on this machine is even more then the board and motor.

How old is this machine? I am guessing at this point from what you are explaining it is over ten.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I bought it in 2004. No I cannot spin it by hand. So that is probably it... Thanks! Can you send me a quick note back so I can close.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So it is almost 10 years old. Definitely would not be worth fixing then. The transmission along with the earrings are over $450. And that is before labor. And you would definitely need someone to do this for you. With labor this job is just simply not worth it on a machine almost ten years old.

Sorry for the ad news again. Hey. Look at this way, I saved you from spending any more money on it.

Get yourself a good top load whirlpool washer. They will cost about $400 and last you the longest.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and for the bonus as well. Greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.