Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

My gas Maytag dryer is not heating and spewing gas into the

My gas Maytag dryer is not heating and spewing gas into the inside of the dryer. My husband checked the gas connection to make sure it was not a leak there or anyplace else around it. He said that everything seemed okay.
He then disconnected it from the electricity and the gas line. The dryer in about 6 years old. Can it be repaired?
Thanks,
Barbara Murray, California
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today

Customer:

I was not given an answer to my question!

repairguy :

No you were not this is instant message talking I was waiting for you

repairguy :

What I would like you to do is plug the unit back in, you do not need to hook up gas

repairguy :

I need to know if the glow bar is glowing orange

repairguy :

you can accomplish this by holding open the door and triggering the door switch and then hitting start on your unit, you should be able to see the glow

repairguy :

I suspect you have a bad gas valve but would like you to test this first. Then possibly removing the bad rating you gave me as the rating system is for the experts not the website.

Customer:

We just checked and there is no glow. I am sorry, I didn't realize you waiting for me to write you.

repairguy :

Do you have a ohm meter

repairguy :

Also if you hook up gas to the dryer, will it just let the gas flow through?

Customer:

That is how we discovered the problem. At first the dryer took longer to dry the close and I thought I smelled gas. The next load it did not dry at all and the inside of the dryer filled with fumes and the dryer did not turn off at all. It was rather scary.

repairguy :

ok that is all the information i need. Do not hook up to gas again.

Customer:

Okay, do you think we should buy another dryer?

repairguy :

This is a link to where you can buy the burner assy

repairguy :

It is a toss up, of buying new or fixing. I would recommend buying the entire assy, to be safe but that will be about $210, I dont think you could buy a new dryer for that, the other deciding factor would be how old and how the dryer had been working

Customer:

The dryer is about 6 or 7 years old and was working fine before this incident.

repairguy :

I hate to tell anyone to repair, then hear something else went bad down the road

repairguy :

This one really is your decision, the burner assy will repair your problem with this unit.

Customer:

Okay, thanks for the information! The dryer has had a lot of use and you are right, we will have to spend at least $600 to buy another one but it just might be worth it in the long run. I am sorry I jumped the gun on your rating. Have a nice day.

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.