Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

my father was trying to change the light bulb inside his Dacor

my father was trying to change the light bulb inside his Dacor ECP 52305 double wall oven. He took the housing out unnecessarily and when doing so he touched the back of the oven wall and heard a pop inside the oven. Now none of the control buttons work. The clock is lit and shows the time but no buttons work. We tried throwing the breaker. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist

Customer:

Hey Rick.

Customer:

Customer:

i am not at the house but my brother is. He is an electrician.

Customer:

do you know if there is an internal fuse? or way to reset the control panel?

Customer:

or did he burn up the control panel?

repairguy :

When you tried to change the light you blew the relay board located behind the clock assy.

repairguy :

You can have your brother check to see if there is a fuse on the relay board

Customer:

is the the relay board the front cover with all the buttons? if yes, he did and there wasn't one.

Customer:

he said he felt that the problem was something differnet. He felt that the door wasn't registering closed and that is why the board wasn't working. That doesn't make since to me as the clock or button timer buttons should work right/

repairguy :

no it is located on the chassis of the unit not that front board.

Customer:

chassis in the front? is it accessible without having to remove the oven from the cabinet?

repairguy :

Yes just remove the front panel and he should see the board

Customer:

just so i understand. The area he needs to look is not the control board with all the buttons correct? The only other parts that come off are the doors, and there is a small 2"x30" grill at the bottom below the bottom door. is that small grill what you are talking about?

Customer:

pardon my ignorance

repairguy :

you are fine, no located behind the control panel, where the buttons are, when you remove it you will see two boards one relay board for the top and one for the bottom

repairguy :

Which oven was he changing the light in?

Customer:

ok. would the fuse be easy to see or would something need to be removed to see it. Because there is not a fuse that is easily seen unless it doesn't look like a typical fuse. Does it look like a glass fuse with metal ends? I ask because i have also taken it off and didn't see the fuse.

Customer:

i will ask my father real quick which oven he was working on when it happened.

repairguy :

I dont believe there is a fuse, I just checked with a associate of mine and he says no if it goes it just goes

Customer:

so he fried it? he said it was the upper oven.

repairguy :

yes he fried it, I dont know if it helps or not but we replace alot of these because people change the light without shutting off the power first.

repairguy :

Would you like me to get you a part number and price

Customer:

yes that was my next question. my brother can install it if we can get the part. Wouldn't hurt to get a part number and price for the lightbulbs also.

repairguy :

Let me get you the info on the light bulbs, are you talking light bulbs or housing for light bulbs, because you can just purchase a appliance bulb from hardware store for the actual light bulb.

Customer:

yes just the bulb. I looked up the diagram. There are two assemblies. One is $140 as you know and the other is cheaper. You are sure it is the $140 one? I will just order it. I will get the bulb locally.

repairguy :

The cheaper one says it is for the lower oven on another site i was checking for you

Customer:

oh

Customer:

i almost disconnect us. I submitted excellent and it almost disconnected. sorry. it won't let me zoom in on the diagram for some reason.

repairguy :

That was the best picture I could come up with sorry for that

Customer:

no your fine. i couldn't have found anything without your help.

Customer:

one more question for mere curiosity. Since i can't see the picture, is the relay one of the actual plugs that is connects to the control panel?

repairguy :

Good luck, If you have any questions you can just come back to the same thread and ask away, it may take a moment but I will help

repairguy :

The relay looks like a black box on a printed circuit board, when you get the board you will see it

Customer:

ok. i am going to submit EXCELLENT SERVICE.

repairguy :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good rest of the weekend

Customer:

OK Rick i accidentally fibbed. That wasn't my last question. By the way answer this at your leisure. If it turns out that it is not this relay? any other part options i could look at to fix? I only ask in case i need to try something else. sometimes these things can be a trial and error thing i know.

repairguy :

I am more than 95% that this is the only thing, unless he shorted a wire when he tried changing the light bulb, but your brother should be able to see that.

repairguy :

But if you install it and it does not work, come back to this question do not start a new one and I will assist you furthere

repairguy :

further

Rick, Repair Guy
Experience: 25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.