Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Old Fisher and Paykel oven - Turned oven on - baked a cake

Old Fisher and Paykel oven - Turned oven on - baked a cake in it yesterday - and the oven started smoking - white smoke bollowing out seems to be coming from the top - the top was turning white as it burned. It wasn't smoking at all when I baked the cake yesterday and it hasn't smoked before.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..do you have a model Number? how old is this stove? if you set it for a low temperature ex 200deg F does it get to that temp and shut off or just keeps heating? thx

Customer:

I actually turned the ove noff - at the wall - after the smoke was bollowing and now I can't utrn it on. Comes up with auto flasking but I'm guessing that I have to set the cloi9g5o/zWEPD;OUG;

Customer:

Sorry about the above typing. I meant to finish by saying that it comes up with 'auto' flashing and I'm guessing that I have toset the clock to get it going. But I've tried to set all the buttons to no avail.

Customer:

There is no model no on the oven. Only says 'multifunction". We are renting.

Randy 43 :

so nothing sets , even if you reset the breaker for a few minutes?

Randy 43 :

how old was this stove?

Randy 43 :

model may be around the frame area usually

Customer:

found the model no. it is B1600E

Customer:

Don't know how old the oven is but I'm guessing around 10-12 years as they tell us the apartments were built around that time.

Randy 43 :

so you cant set the clock still? oven wont come on anymore?

Customer:

no can't set the clock still and the oven won't come on

Randy 43 :

there are only a few reasons it would start to smoke .it sounds like you have a runaway temperature issue ,if the relay on the board sticks or is defective it will cause excessive heat and smoking ,there is no temperature regulation, if you reset the breaker for a few minutes and it still wont reset then the board is faulty , you can confirm the correct power, but being that old ,the part would have to be sourced by the manufacturer ,it wont come up on recent web sites.if it is still available

Customer:

How do i reset the breaker?

Randy 43 :

you either unplug or turn the breaker off ,Black switches on a main electrical panel, you leave it unplugged for atleast 3-5 minutes to give the board a chance to reset , if it still wont program the board is bad

Customer:

ok i only hand a switch on the wall that says 'oven' is the the breaker?

Randy 43 :

yes ,if it shuts off all power to the oven ,no display ,lites ,everything off no sign of power at all,then yes uit is the breaker

Customer:

ok then I turned that off yesterday and now I can't get the oven to go. there is obviously power getting to the oven because the 'clock' is lighting up but it's flasing and pushing the buttons under the clock won't stop it flashing. should pusching on of htese button stop it flashing?

Randy 43 :

yes , it should stop flashing as you set the clock, if you cannot set the clock then that board is faulty , oven wont come on unless clock is set ..

Randy 43 :

if you can get it stop flashing and set ,then test the temp at the lowest heat setting ,if it overheats then it is a faulty relay

Customer:

cant get it to stop flashing so I guess it's .....ed

Randy 43 :

sounds like a bad board if it wont reset or stop flashing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ive replied thur the answer but it wasn't what you deduced. Guess that. Knowingt the model would have eliceted the best answer
sorry to hear that but yes i can only look up so much according to the model number