Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

my ge microwave jvm3670sk04 woeks but the light and fan keeps

my ge microwave jvm3670sk04 woeks but the light and fan keeps going all the time unless I open the door. Anytime I close the door the fan and light turning on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, my name is Dave. Did this happen after cooking on the stove top under the microwave?

Customer:

No, it just started by itself. I saw the ight on and heard the fan as if it was rubbung norma. But it didn't heat a glass of water unless I programmed it to heat.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, I thought it was the thermostat under the oven but that is not it if there is no heat. Does it still heat if you program it to cook?

Customer:

yes it does. It works normally, it is just that after it finishes heating, the fan and light stays on. Looks like some relay is stuck (or diode burned out??)

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes, the control has separate relays for the fan and the magnetron (heat) so that you can program for less than full power. The heat relay cycles while the fan and light continue to operate. The fan/light relay is stuck. You don't have much to lose so give this a try. Smack the control pane with the flat of you hand to see if you can free up the relay. If this does not work I will give you the part number for the control so you know the price.

Customer:

Waht do you mean by the control pane, is that the touch pad or is it insde the unit?

Appliance Tech Dave :

The electronic control is mounted directly behind the touch pad. I am hoping that we can bump the relay enough to release it unless it welded shut.

Customer:

I was benging it and it didn't correct the problem. By the way when the door is open the fan stops.

Customer:

So I may need a new control...?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes, the part number is XXXXX and I see it on the Sears site for $185.14.

Customer:

I have at home an older unit, that the magnetron doesn't work, so I may take it from there.

Customer:

One thing is how do I open this unit? It doesn't have these 2 screws in the front/. The top part opens slowly for the air to circulate

Appliance Tech Dave :

I think on this unit you need to remove the top grille first to get to the screw on the top of the touch pad. Then the touch pad pulls towards you from the top and the control is attached to the back of the touch assembly.

Customer:

Hi Dave,... Good news, I banged on it some more and it corrected the problem. Great! Going to keep the part number in the event it will happen again.. Thanks.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Good news! It doesn't always work but you have the touch! Best wishes. Dave

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore