Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

We have a Kenmore Elite HE5 Gas Dryer. 6 years old, and a

We have a Kenmore Elite HE5 Gas Dryer. 6 years old, and a intermittent high pitch squeal is becoming much more constant. The drum has become harder to turn manually also. It seems to be related to the motor, because if I spin the drum hard enough it seems to be slipping inside a belt (assuming it's belt drive) but when slower I can feel the drag of the motor and it squeals.
Is this a simple barring replacement of some sort or a motor near death?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me the full model number from the sticker around the door please, will look like this 110.12345678
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

110.9709.1601

Ok thanks for that Jeffrey, can you give me a few minutes to look that model number up please.

Ok your problem here is a very common one, the drum supports (wheels) 21 have started to seize and will need to be replaced, You may want to replace the front drum glides also as part of maintenance. The parts are very cheap. To get to the parts take the top off the machine by removing the screws along the rear lip, next take the top panel off, then take the panel out from under the door, remove the control panel then disconnect the door switch, remove the front door panel then disconnect the belt and pull the drum out through the front.

You will then have access to replace the supports and front felt/glides.

graphic

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How many of the supports are there? 4 I'm guessing. What are the part numbers I would need to order parts and where would you recommend I order them from?

Can we continue to use the dryer? Till I fix it, ASAP of course.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to be the best possible outcome from the noise we are hearing.

Can you give me a minute to look those part numbers up please Jeffrey.
Ok click on the link below to order the replacement parts, you will need to order 4.

You can continue to use the dryer without worry until the new parts arrive :)

Click here to order the parts

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a follow up question. The recommend repair doesn't seem like the real problem. All drum rollers spin fine and smooth with out noise. But while scratching my head, I was playing with other parts, motor and idler pulley. The idler pulley seems to be the source of all the noise. Is this typically the issue? I'm already into the project the cost of this question and $80 for parts I don't seem to need.

Will need to get back to you shortly, am in a service call, thanks
Yes the idler pulley is another source of the noise, as mentioned it's a good idea to replace the drum supports and the idler at the same time, these are the main source of noise and wear fairly quickly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes but you never mentioned that this might be the cause of the problem, and now I'm waiting on parts and the dryer is in pieces all over my garage. I'm hoping the part arrive in time for me to re-assemble the machine before the next weekends laundry day.

While your feedback and pointer to the repair parts site have been good, I'm disappointed that you neglected to include the idler pulley in your recommendations. Based on this I would rate your service as only Good.

I'd rather you had mentioned all 5 parts as needing repair so I could have completed the work in 1 day rather then spread out over 2 weekends.

I'm sorry, thought I had mentioned the supports, felt glide and idler, the idler would be a stock item at any local appliance parts store.