Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a 2003 coldspot elite Kenmore side by side with ice

I have a 2003 coldspot elite Kenmore side by side with ice and water dispenser model #106 54203300 and I was having it moved and the guys laid it on its side. It will not function now. Is there anything I can do or have done that will correct whatever problem was created by this ? Before this it held temps at 0 on freezer side and 37 on the frig side.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Just to clarify you have tried to shut this off for 24 hours before plugging it back in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes twice since Wednesday, I tried that Thursday 24 hours after the event then again this am and no results.

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I can do that, it will take a few minutes.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX here David :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

compressor is cold to the touch and there is no fan running

Ok unplug the unit then on the side of the compressor there should be the start relay, Take the wire retaining clip and cover off if it has one then pull the relay off the side of the compressor, Shake the relay, let me know if it rattles like there are small broken pieces inside or if the relay does not rattle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, be back in a few

Ok thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no rattles

Do the lights light up when you open the door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Ok sounds to me like the control board inside the fridge has failed, It's likely stuck in the defrost cycle which basically shuts everything off.

Click here to order the replacement control

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.