Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

this is in regard to a whirlpool mvwc6esww1 washer, it does

this is in regard to a whirlpool mvwc6esww1 washer, it does not wash, the spindle only rotates every so often. What can that be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The machine does everything it should but the agitator does not turn? does it make like a rasping noise?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok when you run the machine Bob can you hold onto the agitator and stop it moving?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I did hold on to it but it stops and then starts up again but then stops again, it can be turned both ways.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok one last question, the machine spins and drains as it should?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok Bob thanks for that,

The problem here is the dogs in the agitator have worn and need to be replaced. Below I have included a link where you can order the part and a video that shows how to do the repair, you should bookmark both links.

Click here to order the replacement dogs

Click here to view the repair video.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

mike, I work on washers almost everyday, I was indicating the spindle not the top of the agitator, that has the dogs in it.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
the spindle? the shaft at the base of the agitator?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

the nut that bolts down into the top of the spindle was removed and the plastic agitator removed to find that the spindle was not turning properly.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok sounds to me like you have a broken agitator shaft, If the dogs are good then the gear case would need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.