Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Hi there. I live in a very old house (120yrs) and have lived

Hi there. I live in a very old house (120yrs) and have lived here for 35 years. I want to replace my stove. The present one runs on electricity, and that comes down from the ceiling, down the wall and into the back of the present stove, through what looks like a black unbilical cord (!!). Now: I don't know what steps I take next, nor who I contact. I plan to buy a new stove and store it til I get things figured out. What type of electrician do I contact? An appliance person, an ordinary electrician? My electricity still runs from a fuse box and I don't want to have to re-wire the whole house, if you get what I mean. Any help from you would be gratefully received. I want to prepare myself and understand the process as much as I can. Many thanks. Maggie
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

You need to contact a local electrician. He could see if the wiring would be correct for a new stove. Once it has been checked and made correct then get your appliance. That is what you need to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any reason why I cannot get my new applicance now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any specific reason that I not buy a new appliance now?

No not at all you can buy it and show the electrician which one so he can get the wiring right.