Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

maytag dryer mde2706ayw bought used from craigslist. I got

maytag dryer mde2706ayw bought used from craigslist. I got it home & changed out the 4 prong plug to the 3. The dryer heats, and blows air from the exhaust, but it is not turning.

I reversed the wiring, thinking it was something like that- but still the same.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If your dryer is blowing air, this means your motor is turning so the drum should be moving. The fact that it's not means that your belt has broken or has fallen off the pulley. You'll need to remove the front panel of the dryer and either re-connect the belt or replace it if it's broken. To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel.  These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel.  If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws coming in from inside of the dryer on the left and right side holding the front panel onto the side panels. Unscrew these screws and the front panel will hinge forward and down so that you can re-install or replace the belt.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay- front is off...and I can see that the belt is loose, but hooray- its intact! Do you have instructions for putting it back on?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not exactly, but below is a diagram that should help on how the belt is routed.

graphic

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the belt keeps slipping off when we rotate it... could it be the tensioner?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So make sure you have the belt is positioned on the drum so that it's about where it should be or else that could pull it off if it's too far forward or backwards. Other than that, if none of the pulleys are wobbling, then the issue isn't the tensioner, the issue is just how you're trying to connect it for some reason. I'm not there to see what might be done incorrectly, so hopefully you can work your way through it.