Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have a 20+ year old magic chef 30" slide-in range. When I

I have a 20+ year old magic chef 30" slide-in range. When I use the oven, there seems to be an unsteady supply of gas causing an uneven burn and generating a bumping noise. This affects the gas supply (uneven) to the top burners only when the oven is in use at the same time. Is this dangerous, can it be repaired?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

No this is not dangerous, The problem here is likely the gas safety valve at the rear of the unit, It likely has a sticky plunger on the valve, This is really the only thing that can cause a uneven supply to both burners and oven. This can be replaced and will normally cost around $200 depending on region.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.