John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Model frididaire frs20zsh , freezer works refrig side does

Model frididaire frs20zsh , freezer works refrig side does not. I defrost every other day. works a little while then the refrig side goes warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the fridge not cooling properly .
When the fridge gets warm open the freezer door and reach in to the back panel and tell me if you can feel frost on that panel and send me the model number please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Panel was taken off last night. there is frost on the coils. used hairdryer and left the freezer open for several hours. Turned freezer back on and this morning coils are frosted over almost the entire coil unit.

Frigidaire frs20zsh

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
In the control box there is a defrost timer, under the control box you will see a small hole, use a flat screwdriver and turn slowly till the fridge turns off , now wait 10 to 15 min to see if the frost starts to thaw ,let me know if it does start to thaw please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am I looking to find the small hole on the defrost timer?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
This is the defrost timer located in the control box .you can see the cog at the top of timer , turn that cog slowly till the fridge turns off .let me know if the defrost heater comes on please .
423801-1-M-Frigidaire-215846602-Defrost-Timer-60Hz-120V.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I reach out to you later. I have been aswering your questions from memory. I am comunicating from my office and I am not at home.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sure get back to me later and let me know the outcome please .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is the best way to get back to you

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
just log back in here like you just did .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will , look forward to getting back to you

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a meter to check a few parts if the timer is not the problem .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will get one. Hopefully you will have the patience to tell me what the settings on the meter dial will have to be to get a good reading.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Follow this link it will show you how to use the meter .
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Ohmmeter .
if you require help let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a radioshack mulitmeter at home. the quality of the meter looks somewhat cheap. Can I get away with it or would it be better to get a better meter?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
As long as it works on the OHMS setting its good to go .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back , where is the defrost timer location
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Its the number 6 in the breakldown .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the timer was in the inside I found it and turn it slowly until it shut Off
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
yea turn the cog slowly till the fridge shuts off then wait 15 min to see if the frost on the coils starts to thaw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a good sign that the defrost timer shuts on and off?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is but does the defrost heater come on when the fridge tuens off .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see or feel anything heating up near the coils
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Ok, with the wires disconnected check this defrost thermostat you should get a reading on the meter if the part is ok, you have to check this part when its in the freezer as it opens at 55 deg .
2350702-1-M-Frigidaire-297216600-Thermostat.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With your help and guidance I decided to order two parts that most likely be the issue. I am very very satisfied with your help and expertise. I will be telling others about the great service . Your rating should be 110%
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thank you a rating of three or more will credit me for helping you with the problem .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.